London SE1 community website

London Dungeon to quit Tooley Street for County Hall by Christmas

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 26 April 2012 12.58pm
mickysalt wrote:
Hardly the point ,
It was an atmospheric location.

Well I hate the atmosphere entirely for reasons I have posted in the past (as do many local residents), but if it is of historic importance and genuine authenticity I think entirely differently about any relocation.

If it a Disney world of horror then goodbye.
Thursday 26 April 2012 1.04pm
mickysalt wrote:
Hardly the point ,
It was an atmospheric location.
Yes, and it will remain an atmospheric location.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 26 April 2012 1.21pm
boroughpaul wrote:
dont worry there are still the other lot across the road!
Maybe they can be convinced to move as well. But seriously - these days when something old or unpleasant disappears, you have to hold your breath over what is suggested to replace it. I'm often on Victoria Street during rush hour. I find it most depresing, despite all the shops etc. The pubs are always filled with commuters who are having a loud quick pint or a loud long oen before taking the train home. I am often looking for a pub to have a quiet pint and read before I pick up my children and go home - it's impossible. I have a feeling that's what Tooley Street and the whole area for that matter, will turn into.
Thursday 26 April 2012 1.51pm
I would think Hays Galleria will suffer as a result of this as will other local outlets.
Thursday 26 April 2012 1.56pm
Hays Galleria has long been in need of a refurb...maybe the impact of the Shard will prompt the owners into some much needed investment. Some of the shops there are well passed their sell-by
Thursday 26 April 2012 2.33pm
The Dungeon is a regular customer of my services, so I'm glad it's still going to be a quick bike ride away.
But as I live near it's current location I'm really chuffed it's going. The queue was horrible. Even worse were the school groups that come out of the exit and just stand in a crowd across the whole pavement.

Not sure what's meant by authentic but it wasn't a prison or anything. I don't think it was anything of great historical interest before the railway. It just made a good ready built set. The other dungeons are just in buildings. And yes it's more like disney than something really special like the Old Operating Theatre.

They did have the option of staying but it would have meant shrinking temporarily and they've also been given a huge amount of cash to relocate. It makes sense to be near their other attractions too (combination tickets etc.)

They've always known the skeleton was real. A PR person or something thought it would be a good story but it kind of backfired since they can't display it anymore. Quite right though. When it was more like a museum it may have been appropriate but certainly not now that it's like a theme park. Well that's how I feel about it anyway.

boroughonian wrote:
I would think Hays Galleria will suffer as a result of this as will other local outlets.

Not sure about that. I speak to customers a lot and they don't seem to use the area at all before or after the Dungeon.
Thursday 26 April 2012 3.52pm
I went there in the late 70s not long after it had opened. It was much more museum-like then, and the atmosphere was genuinely creepy. I went on a really hot day and it was freezing inside, very damp with slime (real) dripping down the walls. The cafe was a bare vault, with a series of posters on the walls telling us all about Sawney Bean, the famous Scottish cannibal and his family (great to read while you're eating your sandwich!). I went back about 10 years ago and it was just a stupid childish theme park.
Thursday 26 April 2012 5.03pm
quote]

Not sure about that. I speak to customers a lot and they don't seem to use the area at all before or after the Dungeon.[/quote]

They certainly use the pret and amble in the gallery.
Friday 27 April 2012 8.20am
Thanks Auntie Pat (not my auntie Pat I think)

I've never heard of Sawney Bean, very gory. Can't blame him seeing as the only alternative was Haggis and Oats with salt and water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawney_Bean
Friday 27 April 2012 8.56am
Good riddance. The London Dungeon makes entertainment out of human suffering and abuse. Imagine the outcry if they wanted to open a celebration of animal cruelty, charging 20 a shot for the privilege. Local businesses will be doing well from the huge expansion of office workers in the last few years - they don't need the Dungeon's custom now, if ever. I hope the noisome copycat operation across the street goes the same way soon.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions