London SE1 community website

The Woolpack

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 17 May 2012 7.24am
I also agree. The Woolpack is over-rated but sadly they won't have to change due to location. Berm St is becoming more of a place for visitors to the area.

Simon the Tanner is a far friendlier, more intimate place for a pint.
Thursday 17 May 2012 8.41am
My eyebrow rose ever so slightly when I read WildeOne’s inclusion of bees in his/her litany of complaints against the Woolpack:

Quote:
My local SE1 friends have also complained of the above issues and an additional seasonal issue of bees swarming in the summer months which makes outdoor drinking a hazardous activity!!

As the bee-keeper responsible for the hives opposite the Woolpack, let me reassure WildeOne that I am on excellent terms with my neighbours, both residential and commercial. It is true that bees from one of my hives swarmed a single time last year (on 24th June - see YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Xah4RnDko&sns=em.

The title says it all: “25,000 Bees in Bermondsey Street, Not 1 Person Stung and No Traffic Stopped”, but I express my apologies to anyone distressed by the swarm. I hurried home from work to “take” the swarm and spent an enjoyable couple of hours chatting to the many passers-by who gathered to ask questions about bees on Bermondsey Street that summer evening.

To learn a little more about my bees, see http://www.bermondseystreetbees.co.uk. The Apiary is FERA-registered, has £5,000,000 Public Liability Insurance and £2,000,000 Product Liability Insurance and I have a full British Bee-keepers’ Association Qualification.

Following the bees’ harmless excursion on 24th June 2011, a former neighbour of mine got together with two others to complain to Southwark Council. A visit by a Senior Private / Public Realm Environment Officer was arranged and the Council subsequently wrote to me express its satisfaction with the Health and Safety aspects of my Apiary. Indeed, Southwark Council told me that it had received 33 individual messages of support for the Bermondsey Street Bees from local residents and businesses. Since then, I have received a substantial CGS grant from Southwark Council to perform bee-friendly plantings in St Mary Magdalen Churchyard. While there will always be people who exercise their right to complain about wildlife in London, a ratio of 11:1 local support for the Bermondsey Street Bees tells its own story. See also the se1 website article http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5637.

Back to the point on this thread: using my bees to bash the Woolpack is just bizarre. So please feel free to complain to me about the bees – but leave the buzzy Woolpack out of it !

Declaration of Interest: I drink in the Woolpack, Jose and The Garrison standing up (they’re always busy), and in the Britannia sitting down (you might want to try it out, WildeOne, it’s tamer.)
Thursday 17 May 2012 9.28am
Well said, Mr Slicker!
Thursday 17 May 2012 9.42am
Think you're doing a great thing there, Ceity Slicker! Thank goodness there are people around prepared to look after our bees.

Woolpack: I rarely go too these days, but that's mostly because it's often too busy and packed with city boys, especially on week nights.
Thursday 17 May 2012 10.01am
Bravo Mr Slicker and greetings to your bees. Amazing creatures who are both clean and productive!! I think too many people have too little time on their hands to invest so much energy in such much vacuus moaning about trivia. If you think things are bad go and try and live, work and survive in Greece!
Thursday 17 May 2012 12.14pm
The only problem with bees is that there aren't enough of them.

About the Woolpack, I would add the suggestion that it's well worth the short walk round the corner to reach the much nicer Leather Exchange.
Thursday 17 May 2012 12.20pm
ceity slicker wrote:

That's amazing. So wish I'd been there to see you doing that.
Thursday 17 May 2012 2.04pm
The Woolpack's a horrible, crowded place with a rather unpleasant undertone, both from punters and staff. I haven't been in for years.

I do wish there were more decent low-key pubs in the area - you're not always in the mood for a gastropub, or queuing for 3/4s of an hour to get to the bar.

God, I really am an old f*rt...
Thursday 17 May 2012 4.11pm
lucysalisbury wrote:
Think you're doing a great thing there, Ceity Slicker! Thank goodness there are people around prepared to look after our bees.
Woolpack: I rarely go too these days, but that's mostly because it's often too busy and packed with city boys, especially on week nights.

and this is the person that wants to consign working class people to zone 6,well let the bees live there I say.
Thursday 17 May 2012 4.31pm
mikec wrote:
The Woolpack's a horrible, crowded place with a rather unpleasant undertone, both from punters and staff. I haven't been in for years.
I do wish there were more decent low-key pubs in the area - you're not always in the mood for a gastropub, or queuing for 3/4s of an hour to get to the bar.

God, I really am an old f*rt...

I'd say there's a few, but depends what you class as a decent low-key pub.

The Kings Arms on Newcomen St I'd say fits the bill, as does Simon the Tanner. There's also the Whitesmiths on Crosby Row, although it is a bit dingy and I've only been a couple of times. All quite low key though.

The Brittania is nice, a bit gastro-pubby but the food is good and it never feels too busy.

Bring back the Rose - that's what I say! Apparently coming back but sadly in a gastro-guise.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions