London SE1 community website

The Woolpack

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Thursday 17 May 2012 5.32pm
'Bring back the Rose - that's what I say! Apparently coming back but sadly in a gastro-guise.'

Really?! There's a bit of drinking history gone then.
Thursday 17 May 2012 6.48pm
Guy's street wrote:
There's also the Whitesmiths on Crosby Row, although it is a bit dingy and I've only been a couple of times.

Yes - The Whitesmiths Arms gets my vote too. Much underrated. Always quiet when I go there - so if you fancy good beer and a chat, that's the place. They have a hidden gem in the back too in the form of a beer garden complete with lattice work.

And The Woolpack gets my vote as worst pub in SE1 in terms of service and "don't give a sh1te attitude".
Thursday 17 May 2012 11.10pm
Hear, hear Boss St. Bloke
The Gladstone Arms - now that's a boozer!
I'm down the road from the tanner and haven't mentioned it cos it feels like my front room but I must add to everyones appreciation of this gem as its what you want in a pub. The disinterested at The Woolpack could learn alot from their approach to service!
Thursday 17 May 2012 11.17pm
I find the Britannia as well very pleasant. With the nice collection of whyskey (whysky..!? what's the difference..)

The little pubs work so hard to make it and a pub like the Woolpack makes the worst out of the best.. Shame on them.
Friday 18 May 2012 12.05am
Matt T wrote:
Hear, hear Boss St. Bloke
The Gladstone Arms - now that's a boozer!
I'm down the road from the tanner and haven't mentioned it cos it feels like my front room but I must add to everyones appreciation of this gem as its what you want in a pub. The disinterested at The Woolpack could learn alot from their approach to service!

Ahh The Galdstone,I was stood outside there with the provervial bottle of coke and packet of crisps and playing on the Redman slide.
I'm afraid the last time I went in there I was subject to what I can only describe as reverse homophobia,I was aware it was a gay pub but fancied a pint on a sunny evening on my way home from work, not being homophobic an all,it was clear to me that I wasn't welcome so I drank up and left.
That was some time ago and I have no idea what it's like now but a gem indeed if managed correctly.
Friday 18 May 2012 12.11am
Didn't think the Gladstone had a gay vibe just liked the chilled vibe of the folk music singing nutters. I do have a mix of venues but was compelled to start off the forum discussing The Woolpack as it has got under my skin for quite some time.
Friday 18 May 2012 4.52am
It had a gay vibe mate believe me,I had gay friends that would go there friday saturday nights and it was,apparently,very gay,I also did work in there for the manager,which when your as pretty as me,was dangerous,ok i'm joking there,not about me being pretty though.

Thinking though,i'm going back 10 yrs,it may not be as gay now...and I may not be as purdy.
Friday 18 May 2012 5.02am
The Gladstone went straight a few years back...it is anything but gay now. or, have i missed something?
Friday 18 May 2012 7.32am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
There's also the Whitesmiths on Crosby Row, although it is a bit dingy and I've only been a couple of times.

Yes - The Whitesmiths Arms gets my vote too. Much underrated. Always quiet when I go there - so if you fancy good beer and a chat, that's the place. They have a hidden gem in the back too in the form of a beer garden complete with lattice work.

And The Woolpack gets my vote as worst pub in SE1 in terms of service and "don't give a sh1te attitude".
I'll have to try the Whitesmiths again then. The two times I've been I've felt uncomfortably 'stared at', in a you're not local kind of way! Wasn't someone shot in there a couple of years back as well?
Friday 18 May 2012 8.05am
@Guy's street

Yeah, Simon the Tanner is probably (to my mind) the nicest of those you've suggested. But, because it's nice, it's always very full. Not their fault, of course.

I'll have a look at the Britannia, never been in, so I'll pop in next time I'm passing. Cheers :-)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions