London SE1 community website

The Woolpack

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Friday 18 May 2012 8.06am
The Whitesmiths Arms looks decidedly unwelcoming from the outside
Friday 18 May 2012 8.23am
mikec wrote:
@Guy's street
Yeah, Simon the Tanner is probably (to my mind) the nicest of those you've suggested. But, because it's nice, it's always very full. Not their fault, of course.

I'll have a look at the Britannia, never been in, so I'll pop in next time I'm passing. Cheers :-)
Strange - I've never noticed StheT to be particularly busy, but I tend to only go in quite late for a couple when I do go so probably miss the post-work crowd.
Friday 18 May 2012 9.00am
Don't forget The Royal Oak on Tabard st, now that is a proper pub.
Friday 18 May 2012 9.02am
southwarkSimon wrote:
Don't forget The Royal Oak on Tabard st, now that is a proper pub.

Seconded.
Friday 18 May 2012 3.08pm
boroughpaul wrote:
The Whitesmiths Arms looks decidedly unwelcoming from the outside
They are very welcoming inside, though. Plus they have a dishy new barman on staff called James ... I might have to pop along for a drink or two! I wish they did food, that would be my only complaint.
Wednesday 23 May 2012 10.34am
must say i agree with boroughpaul, we visit here at least 4/5 times per week for Lunch and occasionally in the evening for drinks, the food is superb and the beer garden when sunny is amazing.

Yes it's too busy at times, and the staff can be a tad abrupt when clearing the garden, but from what Iíve seen they have to be as people just donít want to leave and can be very rude.

I'm not sure why they have the policy of emptying the garden so early, and it is frustrating that they donít let you drink out the front but i suppose they have to abide by certain rules.

It's busy everyday so they must be doing most things right and it's miles ahead of pubs like the Shipright & Horseshoe. We genuinely love it
Wednesday 23 May 2012 11.36am
Flower Lady wrote:
it is frustrating that they donít let you drink out the front

Thank goodness they don't. (No, I don't live opposite, but suspect the local residents may well be grateful for that 'rule' too).

It's a place I have previously overlooked, but now fancy investigating.
Saturday 26 May 2012 8.10pm
Flower Lady, what pub are you referring to here??
Tuesday 29 May 2012 9.44am
had some leaving drinks at The Woolpack recently, everyone made comments about how pricey the drinks are, we ate nibbles, which were good, the 'woolpack platter' was nice to share

but the staff!, some of them had a face like a well slapped a*se, rude, moody, miserable, if i did my job with a face/ attitude like that i would of been sacked years a go i am sure, one of them just ignored us talking to her, it was almost comical really, except it was real, wouldn't go back.... but hey ho, lar de dah
Friday 8 June 2012 9.05am
Me too! I asked for the service to be taken off the bill as when the waitress took our order, we were sitting upstairs, she was more interesed in looking at herself in the mirror and messing with her off the shoulder t shirt than listening to us!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions