London SE1 community website

The Woolpack

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Friday 8 June 2012 9.20am
mikec wrote:
The Woolpack's a horrible, crowded place with a rather unpleasant undertone, both from punters and staff. I haven't been in for years.
I do wish there were more decent low-key pubs in the area - you're not always in the mood for a gastropub, or queuing for 3/4s of an hour to get to the bar.

God, I really am an old f*rt...

If you want low key and quiet try The Vic on Pages Walk... nothing fancy, just a goold old fashioned local pub
Thursday 27 December 2012 11.42pm
Been a while but another thumbs down for the Woolpack.

Not usually one to complain but the barstaff tonight were beyond rude. Aggressively asked to move tables from outside to inside, fair enough with their outdoor licensing rule but most of our party of 15 were half way through their meals.

Moved upstairs to again aggressively be told at 10.30 they were shutting the upstairs (why?!) and we had to move downstairs.

If you're keen on paying nearly a fiver for a pint and being shunted round a pub by surly barstaff then this is indeed a winner of a tavern. Five stars.
Wednesday 2 January 2013 4.33pm
Have to say, I've never found the staff at the Woolie rude (sounds like I've been lucky judging by comments on here), but the two things that turn me off the place are i) the fact that it gets so ridiculously packed and doesn't really feel like a 'local' and ii) the smell. Has no one else noticed the smell of wee?!! All these years after the smoking ban how can it still be so bad?

I like the Leather Exchange, which hasn't had a mention so far. Nice pub, aside from its attempts to be foodie, though it's opening hours could be more reliable...
Wednesday 2 January 2013 6.26pm
Dreary place with poor service.

Not been outside long enough to experience the above, but getting served at the bar seems to be Mission Impossible IV.

For some reason, this seems to be ongoing problem. I have returned again and again over the last 3 years or so years expecting the problem to be resolved as staff change all the time, but the problem remains.

I have voted with my feet. There are better pubs within 5 mins walk who WANT to serve you.
Thursday 3 January 2013 1.12pm
Woolpack does what it says on the Tin, busy Pub/Bar on one of the Trendiest streets in London, serving young trendys who worry more about other things than service / quality / price. It's not trying to be a traditional local pub. Yet many people on this feed return and moan and return and moan. Don't like it ? Then support other smaller pubs and bars trying to offer an alternative, rather than those that then moan about those smaller places offering an alternative. Woolpack owners back Jose and Pizzaro .....

Simon the Tanner has a great range of beers, service can be a little indifferent at times but the foods ok. Brittania after refurb is now a very pleasant place for a drink bit limited in range but great to explore the Whisky range, although the staff could at least know what the abbreviations stand for on the whisky board. Food ..... no ..... not yet keep trying. Horseshoe losing touch I'm afraid, great outside space and roof top garden, but drinks range and food ??? . Royal Oak .... smells a bit sweaty when full, classic 70's style food and great if Ale is your thing. The Leather Exchange, little confused about the Fullers sign and presume this limits their beer. The food and wine is great and comparable with the rest of B street, certainly a lot better than Woolpack. Had their Chateaubriand deal it was fantastic. Takes skill to pull that off, service very friendly and welcoming. Roebuck is probably my pick for a Drink, Food looks good, service close to that of others but beer/wine range is fantastic.

I moved into this area because of B street but now find far more delight in the little operators off to the sides. Even the Marigold for bit of authentic Souf London Boozer. Kevin the owner is a great chap.

Move on peeps and support the little guy, Woolpack will do just fine without you ..... but is good before the rush, but have to strictly obey Southwark Licence conditions. Don't blame the crew for the push inside. Its a bloody difficult job.
Thursday 3 January 2013 6.59pm
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
Woolpack does what it says on the Tin, busy Pub/Bar on one of the Trendiest streets in London, serving young trendys who worry more about other things than service / quality / price.

Which tin is that written on?

The rest of your post is your opinion - just like the other posters.

Wait? - is this a forum? It is!

We can post what we like within the T&Cs FamFriend, just like you ;-)
Thursday 3 January 2013 11.29pm
Ironic
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions