London SE1 community website

Building of the Tesco Superstore

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 27 December 2012 10.35am
Hi I am new to this but have been remermbering my childhood. My parents run Brown's the tobacconist in the Old kent road which was next to Perkins the dry cleaners. I was born in 1955 and raised there and moved to kent in 1971 when my father had a heart attack mainly due to the worry of the compulsory purchase of the shop for redevelopment.The shops in my block were.... On the corner of Dunton Road was a shoe repairers Deards the hardware store where I used to go and fetch the paraffin for the heater in the shop, Boots the Chemist, Curtiss shoes, Barry's? the womens hairdresser,a gents tailors, Bertrum's who sold china fancy goods etc. which later beacme the Fireplace shop,the it was our shop Browns then perkins, chinese restaurant, Fosketts shoe shop, The train shop, a Ladies dress shop,a shop we called the radio shop who sold televisions radios and where I bought my first 45 record! Housmans the hosiers where I bought my first bra and stockings! Woolworths, a greengrocers, a Pram shop who sold various cots prams and baby equipment and a bakers. On the other side of the road was the Thomas a beckett where the boxers all trained in the rooms above, The fire Station, scooterlongs a scooter shop, florists,G A Stiles the Confectioners, Helena Fashions,Surmans? the Butchers, greengrocers and on the corner a mans outfitters called Chaps, midland Bank and the Green Man pub.
My Aunt and Uncle owned the newsagents in Dunton Road 'Winny Brown' and had the paper stand on the corner of Old kent Road and Dunton Road. The shop was opposite The little Pie and Mash shop where I used to get the best pie and pease pudding.
I went to Cobourg primary School and Peckham Girls secondary School. Have so many happy memories there, but how it has changed...to think I used to play out with my dolls pram with my friends in earl road, and ride my bike around the block...
Wednesday 19 November 2014 12.06am
What was the train shop called? or is it just that, "the train shop"? does anyone have any images please
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions