London SE1 community website

New council house development in Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Wednesday 16 May 2012 4.51pm
Amusing to see yet more unsuspecting contributors falling into Orione's argument trap....!
Wednesday 16 May 2012 4.58pm
AndyABC wrote:
Amusing to see yet more unsuspecting contributors falling into Orione's argument trap....!

Nosense.. What trap? Can you explain what is the mechanism of this trap? You left me speechless
Wednesday 16 May 2012 6.18pm
Please let's not make this another thread all about orione.

I don't think orione means to be as provocative as his posts often seen; please try to engage with the substance of the debate rather than get hung up on the colourful posting style of one contributor.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 7.26pm
"I mean that if you build more houses but then you surround the block with the Shard, the place, Offices, Luxury flats expensive restaurants instead of essential retail (which is lacking completely), if it happens that you struggle a bit with money (and I include myself..) how can you be in your place? You have to take the bus to shop, or the car, anything is far and what is close is expensive. Am I more clear? Thank you"

Yes, much, thanks.

Retail is lacking, and there is finite space. I would also like to see more retail in the area - I'd like lots of thriving local businesses generally. I don't think it has to be either/or though, and this is part of a wider trend, which is that the 'high street' as a whole is dying. Consumers are making their choices, and it's towards lower costs, and the internet.

I'd like to see this trend reversed, but I'm not confident it will happen.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 9.47pm
It would be interesting to hear from members of the council or JMB leathermarket what is their vision.
Are they creating more low income families in a high income (and raising) area, or they have a plan to sustain these residents. After. Everything here is so bloody expensive and so limited in choice...

It is surely (and bravely) a decision that goes against the strategy of most central boroughs at the moment. They must have thought it well?
Wednesday 16 May 2012 10.31pm
Hi James,
Without trying to be controversial, if any other poster was as confrontational as Orione, I'm sure you would eventually take them to task. I do take into account the vagaries of the english language Still, it's late at night and peace to all, mostly.
Wednesday 16 May 2012 10.59pm
In response to a couple of queries raised in this thread -

New council homes to be built will be let on exactly the same terms as all other council properties - so secure tenancies at council rent (currently an average of 90 per week for a 2 bed property);

We have approx 20,000 people on our waiting list in Southwark - so even 1000 new homes will not solve our housing shortage, but it will make a contribution to the solution. No other council in the country has announced such an ambitious council house-building plan, but I recognise that we are in a unique position to fund our plans from the financial benefits of regeneration;

Priority will be given to existing residents who are in priority need for housing / re-housing to move into the new homes on the estates or in the areas where the new homes are built.

Hope this helps!

Peter
Thursday 17 May 2012 12.21am
Guy's street wrote:
- there is a fair amount of 'grocery' type retail with the local markets, a few Tesco and Sainsburys of various sizes, but that is just about where retail ends in SE1. If I want anything other than food I have to get the train to Charing Cross

What do people want here though? For clothes I'd rather head for the wider realm of the west end, as nothing local will ever provide the same array. As for the "big box" stores I'm fine with them all being halfway down the Old Kent Road (the Shard notwithstanding, those B&Q/Comet type places wouldn't fit with the smaller-built scale of SE1).

What do we already have in the non-food department? A Rymans on BHS, Leyland SDM for hardware down Southwark Street, Travis Perkins round the corner supplying heavier-duty renovation stuff, Edmundson Electrical in Great Suffolk Street...

A good bookshop would be nice, but hey there's a Daunt just across the river on Cheapside - along with other useful City emporia including multiple branches of the wonderful Robert Dyas.

So do we lack that much?
Thursday 17 May 2012 5.17am
Thank you for your post Mr Peter John.

You mention in your interview that it makes economic sense to build more.
Many are already struggling with the actual situation as the area is getting very expensive and many dont have an occupation. What are you going to do in this sense? Are you just increasing this phenomenon?
Could you not spend some of this money to improve our existing estates and to tackle the increasing level of antisocial behavior?

Is JMB leathermarket able to sustain an increase in house number still maintaining ( or better) improving their service in the current financial climate?

Thank you very much.
Thursday 17 May 2012 7.26am
Boroman wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
- there is a fair amount of 'grocery' type retail with the local markets, a few Tesco and Sainsburys of various sizes, but that is just about where retail ends in SE1. If I want anything other than food I have to get the train to Charing Cross

What do people want here though? For clothes I'd rather head for the wider realm of the west end, as nothing local will ever provide the same array. As for the "big box" stores I'm fine with them all being halfway down the Old Kent Road (the Shard notwithstanding, those B&Q/Comet type places wouldn't fit with the smaller-built scale of SE1).

What do we already have in the non-food department? A Rymans on BHS, Leyland SDM for hardware down Southwark Street, Travis Perkins round the corner supplying heavier-duty renovation stuff, Edmundson Electrical in Great Suffolk Street...

A good bookshop would be nice, but hey there's a Daunt just across the river on Cheapside - along with other useful City emporia including multiple branches of the wonderful Robert Dyas.

So do we lack that much?

Fair point.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions