London SE1 community website

New council house development in Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Thursday 17 May 2012 9.41am
Skipping the argument that Leathermarket JMB are 'struggling massively' based purely on the size of the organisation.

The fact that they are a community based organisation means that those moving into the new homes will have a route into the local community.

Being a TMO they will also have the right to get involved and have a bigger say in the running of their homes and community.

Far beter then another smaller development I know of that can potentially house 20+ children surrounded by a private gated community, two TMOs and a major road.

Regarding the ability to address economic well being, if they choose to get involved they will have access to a wide range of training opportunities, that would help with employment, the training available is among the best around.

The only real argument I can see is that due to the high number of private developments that this part of Southwark is not suitable for more council tenants.
Thursday 17 May 2012 10.02am
i wonder how many of the new residents will actually be paying ANY rent? just a thought
Thursday 17 May 2012 10.08am
Guy's street wrote:
Boroman wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
- there is a fair amount of 'grocery' type retail with the local markets, a few Tesco and Sainsburys of various sizes, but that is just about where retail ends in SE1. If I want anything other than food I have to get the train to Charing Cross

What do people want here though? For clothes I'd rather head for the wider realm of the west end, as nothing local will ever provide the same array. As for the "big box" stores I'm fine with them all being halfway down the Old Kent Road (the Shard notwithstanding, those B&Q/Comet type places wouldn't fit with the smaller-built scale of SE1).

What do we already have in the non-food department? A Rymans on BHS, Leyland SDM for hardware down Southwark Street, Travis Perkins round the corner supplying heavier-duty renovation stuff, Edmundson Electrical in Great Suffolk Street...

A good bookshop would be nice, but hey there's a Daunt just across the river on Cheapside - along with other useful City emporia including multiple branches of the wonderful Robert Dyas.

So do we lack that much?

Fair point.

Absolutely. There's loads more retail of all sorts in SE1 now than there was, say, 15 yrs ago.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 17 May 2012 10.10am
boroughpaul wrote:
i wonder how many of the new residents will actually be paying ANY rent? just a thought
Your point being?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 17 May 2012 10.49am
dgeorgea wrote:
Skipping the argument that Leathermarket JMB are 'struggling massively' based purely on the size of the organisation.
The fact that they are a community based organisation means that those moving into the new homes will have a route into the local community.

Being a TMO they will also have the right to get involved and have a bigger say in the running of their homes and community.

Far beter then another smaller development I know of that can potentially house 20+ children surrounded by a private gated community, two TMOs and a major road.

Regarding the ability to address economic well being, if they choose to get involved they will have access to a wide range of training opportunities, that would help with employment, the training available is among the best around.

The only real argument I can see is that due to the high number of private developments that this part of Southwark is not suitable for more council tenants.

Thanks, but what about the old estates?
Was is not more sensible to use that money to improve those ones before?
In many cases, very old kitchen, bad windows, poorly insulated.. old decoration.. and the social issues we discussed.
Why not focusing on getting right the many estates that they already have? This is the point I don't get.

Moreover, many of us come from different areas of London, England or abroad, very many had to leave their roots unfortunately. Is it a good reason to build new homes just to house locals? Why not people who need to be here for work but struggle with money to travel, as an example?

Thank you
Thursday 17 May 2012 11.33am
orione wrote:
Is it a good reason to build new homes just to house locals?
Yes

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 17 May 2012 11.44am
My point is that in my experience on some estates the overwhelming majority of tenants are on housing benefit and are therefore a cost to council tax payers. These estates can become a focus for crime and anti-social behaviour. If the plan is for a mix of rented and shared ownership you will produce a social mix that is more representative of the borough (and London) as a whole and be a moree pleasant and safe place to live. The concentration of the poorest into defined areas was one of the biggest mistakes of post war planning in UK cities...in my opinion
Thursday 17 May 2012 12.22pm
Thanks. I see.

Surely, though, there's a difference between a small scale development inserted into a mixed area like Long Lane and a huge estate like the Heygate?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 17 May 2012 12.37pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
orione wrote:
Is it a good reason to build new homes just to house locals?
Yes

Why? Can you articulate? Why not people who have a low paid job in the area and they cannot travel, or people with some merits.. school etc..? Thank you
Thursday 17 May 2012 1.17pm
Hmmm, the money for 1000 council homes in long lane would get you 4000 around zone 6, I would guess. We already have quite a lot of council housing in the borough; building a relatively small amount of new housing right bang in the middle of a very central and expensive area doesn't seem like a great use of public money to me
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions