London SE1 community website

New council house development in Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Thursday 17 May 2012 1.33pm
Hmmm and those key workers will be spending half their wages on getting to work from zone 6.
Thursday 17 May 2012 1.38pm
boroughonian wrote:
Hmmm and those key workers will be spending half their wages on getting to work from zone 6.

Is not meant for key workers, as it is reported. It generally says to help locals stay local...

Can I please pose again the original question?:

What about the housing managements investing this money to improve the quality of the houses that are already there? To help those tenants who can't reach the end of the month? To try educate those who cannot go to school, or tackle antisocial behavior? This is a more complicated task that just building new houses..
Thursday 17 May 2012 2.01pm
I think this is really excellent news. I wonder when the last time any new council housing was built in Southwark which was 'proper' council housing (as opposed to being housing association built/owned/managed)?

This is an expensive area but I don't think that's the fault of locals whose salaries don't compete with the likes of those living in Shad Thames and other 'affluent' areas of SE1. These people - many of whom are born and bred in SE1 - deserve to be able to stay in the area they have roots.

The subsidy of public sector housing is a completely separate debate.
Thursday 17 May 2012 3.15pm
orione wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Is not meant for key workers, as it is reported. It generally says to help locals stay local...

What about the housing managements investing this money to improve the quality of the houses that are already there? To help those tenants who can't reach the end of the month? To try educate those who cannot go to school, or tackle antisocial behavior? This is a more complicated task that just building new houses..

and very seperate tasks.
Thursday 17 May 2012 3.19pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
I think this is really excellent news. I wonder when the last time any new council housing was built in Southwark which was 'proper' council housing (as opposed to being housing association built/owned/managed)?
This is an expensive area but I don't think that's the fault of locals whose salaries don't compete with the likes of those living in Shad Thames and other 'affluent' areas of SE1. These people - many of whom are born and bred in SE1 - deserve to be able to stay in the area they have roots.

The subsidy of public sector housing is a completely separate debate.

You see I wonder if soacial housing is subsidised,it was ever thus,it's only the influx of others that have driven the potential rents up,i'd prefer to call it protected rents,ie:protected from a market we simply cannot trust.
Thursday 17 May 2012 3.26pm
boroughonian wrote:
orione wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

and very seperate tasks.

So you don't care?
I care every time I see people struggling, some asking for pocket money at the end of the month, others spending all the little they have in non "useful" recreational stuff. And the (anti)social problem that comes with it..

I just would love Peter Johns or the Housing managers to say a word regarding their plan to deal with the growing number of council blocks, as there is already a need of more management with the actual number.

Thank you
Thursday 17 May 2012 3.32pm
Don't care woman! I care so much it makes me ill.

I live in social housing in case you haven't realised,oh I care alright.
I'm just saying that they are seperate issues that you raised,the fact that we have poor people with poor housing and poor neighbours is not a reason not to build more social housing in one of the richest square miles in the world!
Thursday 17 May 2012 4.33pm
I don't think we can compare our borough with the one across the thames. Southwark is a poor borough with an enormous amount of social housing. I believe the social housing should have been managed more efficiently and money should have been spent on concierges and handymen/women, plus a zero tolerance of anti-social behaviour, littering, vandalism etc. This could have resulted in the Elephant and Castle's recently demolished housing being seen as the the beautiful and well designed social housing that it once was, plus letting social housing blocks be less stigmatised in general.
Thursday 17 May 2012 4.37pm
There are many reasons why social (and, in particular, council) housing can be provided cheaper than private housing.

Governments (local or central) can borrow at lower rates than private developers or landlords. No rake off for profit/risk reward is necessary and, unlike a private mortgage, the investment can be paid off over the lifetime of the housing (which is likely to be longer than an individual's working lifetime), leading to lower capital repayments.

Such housing is often built on land that the council already owns, so the capital to buy it doesn't need to be borrowed at construction time and has already sunk the cost of it.

Now, you could argue that all of this amounts to a subsidy in comparison with what the market requires, but I'd rather see my taxes spent on providing cheap, good quality accomodation than in subsidising the mortgages of buy-to-let landlords through Housing Benefit (which seems to be main the alternative at the moment).

Orione - I'm not sure where your evidence for the 'growing number of council blocks' is. Over the last few years, I believe many have transferred to TMOs and Housing Associations, hugely reducing the number of council managed blocks. Additionally, we've lost a lot of council provision at the E&C to be replaced by private and non-council run estates there.
Thursday 17 May 2012 4.58pm
Rambling Phil wrote:

Orione - I'm not sure where your evidence for the 'growing number of council blocks' is. Over the last few years, I believe many have transferred to TMOs and Housing Associations, hugely reducing the number of council managed blocks. Additionally, we've lost a lot of council provision at the E&C to be replaced by private and non-council run estates there.

Ok.I am just quoting the article. 600 houses already built and one thousand more on top of the ones already existing.

Which is quite impressive. Most London central boroughs are reducing the number, Southwark that has the highest number, is increasing it.

So I am concerned about quality of the management. Once you have them you need to manage them well. I think.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions