London SE1 community website

Sick of all the push bikers jumping lights on Borough High St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 45
Friday 18 May 2012 8.38pm
I cycle every day to work and back - I never jump a red light, there is no need to put myself in danger. I disagree with the common argument "it's safer" - if you put yourself in front of traffic it is just as safe. Tonight I had a cyclist in front of me who jumped the temporary lights on Tooley Street, where one lane is closed, and she cycled calmly straight into the oncoming traffic on the same lane - how stupid and reckless is that?

For me the worst are pedestrians though, hopping out of the blue into the cycle lane without any consideration for cyclists, often with headphones so they don't hear my bell at all, leaving me the choice to either drive into them or swerving to the road to be potentially hit by a car. Especially bad when you come from the north end of London Bridge and turn into Tooley - people happily crossing the road at the red traffic light in masses without any regard for traffic. Frustrating.
Friday 18 May 2012 9.44pm
beetroot wrote:

I cycle every day. I'd definitely be up for a licensing it. It would get rid of all those idiots on the Kenbikes that can't even ride them.

Beetroot, I used to cycle in London pretty much every day for over 30 years. Now I live in Devon, but when I come back to London I use the cyclescheme bikes (won't give away my political leanings with a prefix) to get around. I guess I must be one of those idiots. It's easy to tar everyone with the same brush, and dangerously simplistic.
TAK
Friday 18 May 2012 10.23pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
TAK wrote:
The swiss system is only for insurance purposes last time I checked. The sticker and number is so tiny you could never take a note when moving.
My point was about how rigorous the Swiss are, i.e. that if you don't have that number plate or sticker or whatever it is these days (sticker makes sense, people alawys used to steal the plates)you could get fined. Traffic law in Switzerland can be quite strict but is quite clear and I felt it protected rather than restricted me. I am more about prevention than being able to track down whoever ran into my child.

Actually, I just found out that the number plate thing in Switzerland has been abolished from 1st Jan 2012.
Apparently most people's private third party insurances cover cycling already and it was felt the system was now out of date. People are responsible themselves to ensure they are insured.
Should a third party be insured by a cyclist without insurance there is some government instance which will take care of claims for up to 2million chf.

Here's a link if you speak German, French or Italian
http://www.velovignette-ade.ch/de/
TAK
Friday 18 May 2012 10.33pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
TAK wrote:
The swiss system is only for insurance purposes last time I checked. The sticker and number is so tiny you could never take a note when moving.
My point was about how rigorous the Swiss are, i.e. that if you don't have that number plate or sticker or whatever it is these days (sticker makes sense, people alawys used to steal the plates)you could get fined. Traffic law in Switzerland can be quite strict but is quite clear and I felt it protected rather than restricted me. I am more about prevention than being able to track down whoever ran into my child.

Traffic laws are quite strict indeed. Apparently if you cycle drunk or seriously endanger others your bike can be confiscated on the spot and you can even be forbidden from cycling for at least one month. ( I wonder how to control that though?)
The police can even go as far as to withdraw serial offender's car diving license....

article in german about it:
http://www.beobachter.ch/justiz-behoerde/strassenverkehr/artikel/fahrausweisentzug_kann-das-auch-velofahrern-bluehen/
Friday 18 May 2012 10.36pm
how about a serious friday/weekend talk about the disastrous effects of car and motorised vehicle emissions on absolutely everyone and everything wherever they go?
TAK
Friday 18 May 2012 10.42pm
I also have to confess to using Boris bikes mainly on weekends and commute to the west on my own bike weekdays. The only place I wear Lycra is in the swimming pool though.
Friday 18 May 2012 10.48pm
I was within a whisker of being hit full on by some idiot cycling very fast on a pavement near Holborn station this week. I had to swear out loud after in my anger, but obviously this does nothing, not even any passers by on the busy pavement paid any attention (typical Londoners). I was shaking afterwards because it was so close and the cyclist was at a high speed. I think most cyclists here are good ones, but it's sad that there are a minor few who let the side down, therefore lets have some kind of registration/license, it won't affect the good ones who cycle properly. If I had been hit, I doubt he would have stopped and he would have carried on, and I would be lying in a hospital bed at the expense of the NHS/taxpayer because of some stupid idiot.
Friday 18 May 2012 11.25pm
darrenm wrote:
I was within a whisker of being hit full on by some idiot cycling very fast on a pavement near Holborn station this week. I had to swear out loud after in my anger, but obviously this does nothing, not even any passers by on the busy pavement paid any attention (typical Londoners). I was shaking afterwards because it was so close and the cyclist was at a high speed. I think most cyclists here are good ones, but it's sad that there are a minor few who let the side down, therefore lets have some kind of registration/license, it won't affect the good ones who cycle properly. If I had been hit, I doubt he would have stopped and he would have carried on, and I would be lying in a hospital bed at the expense of the NHS/taxpayer because of some stupid idiot.

Thank god it was a miss !! Its not nice when it happens to you leaves you feeling shocked and full of anger as the only thing you can do is just watch them ride off knowing your helpless in ever finding them !! a band/jacket with an ID number would work well making Every rider over 15 use one....would come in handy for crime carried out on bikes To !!

If no ID band/jacket you get a fine....surely they can come up with something along them lines
Friday 18 May 2012 11.45pm
jamesup wrote:
Road Tax doesn't exist, you're talking about VED - which is leveraged on CO2 emissions. These nice cars doesn't pay it either, like a bike they emit less that 100g/km CO2. Roads are paid for from general taxation.
Insurance, well, I'm insured, it costs very little, as bikes don't tend to hit things at 60mph with tonnes of force.

Congestion Charge, clues in the name - that's to deal with congestion - a car problem.

Very happy to join anyone condemning RLJing and other anti-social cycling but when you divert off on these points it makes it hard to agree with you.
Saturday 19 May 2012 12.05am
105pear wrote:
jamesup wrote:
Road Tax doesn't exist, you're talking about VED - which is leveraged on CO2 emissions. These nice cars doesn't pay it either, like a bike they emit less that 100g/km CO2. Roads are paid for from general taxation.
Insurance, well, I'm insured, it costs very little, as bikes don't tend to hit things at 60mph with tonnes of force.

Congestion Charge, clues in the name - that's to deal with congestion - a car problem.

Very happy to join anyone condemning RLJing and other anti-social cycling but when you divert off on these points it makes it hard to agree with you.

Parrot !!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 45

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions