London SE1 community website

Sick of all the push bikers jumping lights on Borough High St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 45
Saturday 19 May 2012 12.33am
kenhaynes wrote:
beetroot wrote:

I cycle every day. I'd definitely be up for a licensing it. It would get rid of all those idiots on the Kenbikes that can't even ride them.

Beetroot, I used to cycle in London pretty much every day for over 30 years. Now I live in Devon, but when I come back to London I use the cyclescheme bikes (won't give away my political leanings with a prefix) to get around. I guess I must be one of those idiots. It's easy to tar everyone with the same brush, and dangerously simplistic.

I suppose strictly speaking you could say my sentence could be read two ways, though you've chosen to read it one way with great certainty- the wrong way. It's actually pretty clear that my sentence refers to the portion of cycleshceme riders that can't ride a bike, as opposed to all the cyclescheme riders.
Saturday 19 May 2012 3.33am
It seems quite clear that there are stupid car, van, truck, taxi, bus, motorcycle, skateboard drivers as well as cyclists and pedestrians. If we stop pointing fingers,what solution can be agreed on so that we stop hating each other? I am speaking as a pedestriancyclistdriverskateboarder myself...
Saturday 19 May 2012 9.58am
The solution would be to introduce law inforcement. Just the chance of getting into trouble would stop most. Not gonna happen though.
Saturday 19 May 2012 11.51am
No, I was serious about giving cyclists the agency to decide if they can proceed through a red light.

Yes, cyclists should be forced to STOP at red lights. But, no, cyclists should NOT be forced to wait at a red light if it is safe to proceed -- bikes are not 2,000 ton boxes of metal that kill and maim people, especially children.

Nuance is necessary when comparing a bicycle to a car.
Saturday 19 May 2012 7.07pm
I have no sympathy for cyclists that jump red lights, weave in and out of cars and give verbal abuse to get you to move off the pavement. I always thought the pavement was for walking pedestrians?? May be I'm wrong
Saturday 19 May 2012 7.29pm
james127 wrote:
bikes are not 2,000 ton boxes of metal that kill and maim people, especially children.
In my opinion, a grown man or woman cycling at speed actually could kill or maim someone. To think otherwise and therefore not adjusting your behaviour when in traffic is irresponsible if you ask me. Would I rather be hit by a car or a bicycle? Neither, to be honest with you.
Saturday 19 May 2012 8.06pm
I've been hit by push bikes riding on pavements, you can't hear them coming and you don't expect it, and I just been sworn at by the riders on top of it.

People get killed every year by being hit by push bikes.

I don't care if they hit cars and busses and kill themselves going through red lights, I've seen a few near misses, I do care if they injure other people.

My friend saw two bikes go through red lights on NKR in front of a police van last week. Surprisingly the police pulled them over and had a chat.
I hope it involved money.

I too am at the point where I think no one should be allowed to cycle in London without a number plate and third part insurance.

I had to do a cycling proficiency test aged 12 before my parents would allow me on the roads.
They were quite right.
Saturday 19 May 2012 9.45pm
Davies wrote:
People get killed every year by being hit by push bikes.
Not true as far as I know
Sunday 20 May 2012 2.19pm
nickyd wrote:
Every rider over 15 use one....would come in handy for crime carried out on bikes To !!
If no ID band/jacket you get a fine....surely they can come up with something along them lines

Haha that's quite an idea - those cyclists who go out to commit crimes (what a pest they are...!) donning registered jackets before they hit the road.

Of course pedestrians too should have similarly number-plated jackets for they also are a constant potential danger to cyclists, perhaps of a different colour (what to do about those who are sometimes cyclists, sometimes pedestrians - two tone jackets? A full wardrobe of different jackets?)

Forgive my occasional penchant for sarcasm but I can't help chuckling.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 45

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions