London SE1 community website

Sick of all the push bikers jumping lights on Borough High St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 45
Monday 21 May 2012 7.48am
I agree that it's wrong that cyclists have to ride on the pavement -- they are doing this out of fear of the chaotic streets. If you dislike this happening, supporting London Cycling Campaign's 'Go Dutch' initiative would be a good way to help with the problem.
Monday 21 May 2012 9.18am
james127 wrote:
I agree that it's wrong that cyclists have to ride on the pavement -- they are doing this out of fear of the chaotic streets. If you dislike this happening, supporting London Cycling Campaign's 'Go Dutch' initiative would be a good way to help with the problem.

This sort of argument doesn't help.

Let's be clear: nothing is forcing cyclists onto the pavement except their own impatience.

I know motorcyclists who feel daunted by London traffic. Would it be OK for them to take to the pavements?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 21 May 2012 9.20am
Children are taught to wait for the green man not for the idiot who cant be bothered to stop maybe they need to add this.
Monday 21 May 2012 9.51am
I don’t think this is doing anything for cyclist / pedestrian relationships or that supporting the LCC is in the interest of pedestrians. They are campaigning for cyclists’ rights, not the latters’. Sigh. If I had the time, I’d start a London Pedestrian Campaign - it sounds like we might need one.
Monday 21 May 2012 11.18am
Cycling/cars etc seems to be so incediary on here it really does tire me.

There are poor road users of all types. There are rules for all road users. If people don't keep to the rules there will be and very much are problems.

This may not apply to those posting on here but the thread is about all users and not how you use the road - Rule breakers...many but to be really honest I hardly ever see a car go through a red light but I see loads of cyclists do it - Undertakers...some cars do it but hardly at all because they just can't but lots of cyclists do it - road/lane positioning lots of vehicles and cyclists are very poor at getting this right - speed in relation to braking ability both groups are probably guilty here.

these are some of things that make usuing the road difficult and dangerous for all and I am just saying what I see as I walk to and from work each day.
Monday 21 May 2012 11.35am
urbanite wrote:
I hardly ever see a car go through a red light

You are blind.

So many do it that it's not uncommon to see cars on a green light unable to cross the path of the light jumpers.
Monday 21 May 2012 11.48am
light jumping is not nearly as prevalent as you think....blocking junctions isn't the same as light jumping and nor is going through a yellow light...i am not blind and a road user by car and cycle and red light jumping is not nearly as prevalent as many cyclists would like us all to hear about.
Monday 21 May 2012 11.49am
My observation is the same as urbanite's.

I have been commuting to work by bicycle since the 1989 transport strikes.

How would beetroot like me to display my disability ?
Monday 21 May 2012 11.51am
Regarding under-taknig by cyclists - someone mentioned undertaking a car signalling left. Is it perhaps a little inconsiderate/dangerous of a person in a car to overtake a person on a bike just before they turn left in their car? They know they will cutting up the person on the bike by doing so - why not hang back and wait until the junction is clear?
Monday 21 May 2012 11.55am
james127 wrote:
No, I was serious about giving cyclists the agency to decide if they can proceed through a red light.
Yes, cyclists should be forced to STOP at red lights. But, no, cyclists should NOT be forced to wait at a red light if it is safe to proceed -- bikes are not 2,000 ton boxes of metal that kill and maim people, especially children.

Nuance is necessary when comparing a bicycle to a car.

I think it is a crazy idea to allow cyclists through red lights. For a start, hardly any would bother to stop as you suggest if this rule was implemented. I fear that a common scenario would be a cyclist speeding through a red light, a car having to screech to a halt to avoid hitting them and being rammed from behind, or swerving and running over a pedestrian. Meanwhile the cyclist has already disappeared down the road.

I'm speaking as a cyclist, a motorbiker and a pedestrian, so am not biased towards car drivers.
Current: 8 of 45

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions