London SE1 community website

Application for new wine bar in Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Sunday 20 May 2012 10.20am
Chance to eat Ticino bread - tick. Another interesting addition to The Street - tick. Something else to give the wholly complacent Village East a run for its money - tick. Another independent eaterie and not a pret in sight - tick. The one caution I think is that The Street might end up going the way of other interesting streets (Upper Street for example) where late at night it's just an endless stream of bauling, binge drinking and vomit.
Sunday 20 May 2012 1.41pm
Problem with Village East is that Bermondsey Street has moved on... but Village East hasn't. Also the attitude of the staff at Village East varies from indifferent to rude. It appeals to some but the reviews on this site are far from good on balance. The standard is now set by Zucca and Pizarro. Maybe Village East will now raise their game? if not they will go the way of Bermondsey Kitchen, which also stood still,and consequently paid the price of complacency...IMHO
Monday 21 May 2012 5.15pm
I always got good service, and the vib is good. And frankly don’t thing the new places are better (have recently eat lunch at Zucca and dinner and Pissarro). The Bermondsey Kitchen, was nether an interesting place. …
It seem to me people just like new things with are cool and in so they dish a place just because the wood in the entrance is showing some marks of time….
Monday 21 May 2012 5.20pm
I too rather like VE for a few cocktails and something to eat. BS hasn't moved on in the sense you mean Boroughpaul...it has developed and there is a wider choice, but that includes all the places mentioned. I'm not sure what you mean by paying the price of complacency either as its always busy in the evenings that I have been or passed by....and having lived on one of BS's central side streets for 17 years now I think I can vouch for the difference between moving on and developing in the street...althogh I'm sure there are many who will be able to remeber much further back than me.
Monday 21 May 2012 5.24pm
That is not a particularly helpful question....no-one in a situation like that is going to weigh up the pros and cons but react instictively to what looks like the least risky option...what is least risky will be different to all people and in all circumstances around those that you have "created".
Wednesday 24 October 2012 7.19pm
Building on this site seems to have come to a halt. Does anyone know what the plans are? It seemed rather promising.
Wednesday 24 October 2012 10.55pm
I know - a little concerning. Apparently it was supposed to open before the olympics. But looks like a new cafe/wine bar has opened on the site of the old terra plana.
Wednesday 24 October 2012 11.00pm
And where is terra plana?
Wednesday 24 October 2012 11.06pm
I think the original builder did a "dirty" on the owner and took a huge amount of money from her without doing any work.
Haven't heard anything for a good couple of months though.
Thursday 25 October 2012 9.09am
maurits wrote:
And where is terra plana?

Spitalfields and Cov Gdn, I think.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions