London SE1 community website

Olympic torch relay in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Thursday 26 July 2012 9.51am

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 26 July 2012 9.44pm
And has the Old Kent Road section of the relay featured in the media - no!
Thursday 26 July 2012 10.01pm
the man in the green suit wrote:
And has the Old Kent Road section of the relay featured in the media - no!

Yes it did.
Live feed from BBC 'torchcam' and various heliflopters covered as ALL of the route, with some inevitable drop out because they opted to go for a video feed over the 3G network accompanied by a twitter stream, instead of hundreds of cameras, crews, reporters etc., which would of course have drawn criticism of a different kind from licence payers.

OKR was not overlooked.
Friday 27 July 2012 6.17am
By media - I meant London Tonight and BBC local news and the Evening Standard newspaper (I should have been clearer on that)

Don't forget a lot of older people do not have a clue what twitter is or even use a computer!
Friday 27 July 2012 7.46am
the man in the green suit wrote:
By media - I meant London Tonight and BBC local news and the Evening Standard newspaper (I should have been clearer on that)
Don't forget a lot of older people do not have a clue what twitter is or even use a computer!

Which bits did they cover then? The route through SE1 and on through SE London was a long one. I saw some news team cameras at the junction by Borough tube. Guess they have to be very selective and use whatever they consider best material.

Being realistic, the Evening Standard, in fulfilling it's self-appointed role as Olympic Promotional Rag, is more likely to feature pics from 'higher profile' routes such as those through the West End, particularly if they can feature Kate 'n Wills.
Zoe
Friday 27 July 2012 5.03pm
The BBC had an Interview with one of the torch bearers from the old Kent road stretch
Saturday 28 July 2012 11.20pm
The problem is with this, is that no one can get any where, tell us to not use trains or drive. People still need to get to work and home and I wont be able to see my Father for a while now because all the routes I would use is being used on Olympics. I just feel I am jammed in the middles of this as either direction I go its a mass everywhere. and also to remember that people did lose their homes as well over this and have not been re housed yet either. I am not against the olympics but they should have not chose London to hold it, as London is over crowded so its like an over flowing pot.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions