London SE1 community website

Annoying plane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 29 May 2012 10.31pm
So Rob, Facepalm... excellent! But shouldn't it have appeared directly after your post, rather than before???
Tuesday 29 May 2012 11.13pm
No. The facepalm was my original reaction, I felt the need to elaborate and explain my reasoning for facepalming when there were a couple more replies in the thread.
Also, you'll notice that I referred to "Mr polar bear above" which indicates that the picture was in a post above, and therefore earlier in the thread.

But thanks for your concern.
Wednesday 30 May 2012 10.20am
Apologies to all the residents that we disrupted on this evening. We were carrying out a photographic flight. We will avoid doing these kinds of flights in future.

If anyone wants to come down to Stapleford Flight Centre for a London Sightseeing Flight which we operate at weekends to see their neighbourhood from the air (we promise not to cause noise)quote SE1 and we will offer 10% off our price.
Wednesday 30 May 2012 10.22am
Nice! You have quieter engines or you just fly higher?
Wednesday 30 May 2012 10.44am
Lauraward wrote:
Apologies to all the residents that we disrupted on this evening. We were carrying out a photographic flight. We will avoid doing these kinds of flights in future.
If anyone wants to come down to Stapleford Flight Centre for a London Sightseeing Flight which we operate at weekends to see their neighbourhood from the air (we promise not to cause noise)quote SE1 and we will offer 10% off our price.

How would a flight not cause noise? If you were carrying out a photographic survey didn't someone spot what was going on below them, and are you really going to turn away such business as a result of the grumbles here? As a local resident I accept this area is subject to plane and helicopter noise in the general mix of living in the city. Productions at the Globe naturally suffer from such intrusions from time to time. However, as a member of the audience (who, I suggest, were more inconvenienced than local residents) messing up their enjoyment of that production and the actors presentation for almost an hour was out of order.
Thursday 31 May 2012 7.55am
robdee wrote:
Seriously...
Lean in close cause I have a little secret for you.
You live in the centre of one of the busiest cities in the world, theres going to be noise, be it from planes, trains, automobiles or drunk students vomiting loudly on your doorstep.

You could write a stern letter to... someone, demanding a one mile no-fly zone be set up around your flat, so that you dont have to turn the tv up to hear what Mr Jeremy Kyle is saying to that sixteen year old mother of three. I have a feeling they would join me and Mr polar bear up there in a group facepalm though.

You could, if you demand complete silence, move to a polar region. I have a feeling though that you would be whipping the laptop out to post on the local "GLACIER DWELLER" website that one of Mr facepalm bear's relatives is growling too loudly.

Or, you could just accept that having the privalege of living in such a bustling city, means that there will be the odd noise that disturbs your listening to the shipping forecast now and then, and you should think yourself lucky to have a window to close to ease the dreadfull din that prop is making. As you could instead be living in a doorway of the latest store to become victim to the recession, and be woken by the sound of a rat knawing at your earlobe rather than this helicopter or that airplane.

Apologies to anyone who's arsecheeks aren't at this moment compressing a lump of coal into a diamond, but every time I see one of these "noisy helicopter/plane" threads it makes me... Well it makes me facepalm!

Hear hear, I too am fed up with the whinging about noise this is one of the busiest cities in the world it is not a small village in the country.
To the person who feels that the globe audience were disturbed more than the residents, how selfish and childish was that comment (my dads bigger than your dad). And shouts what is going on here, me me me me me me only I'm important, no one else has any rights.
Get a life please and stop making the forum so boring, or just move back to whatever sleepy hamlet you came from. Or maybe I should move to a sleepy hamlet, I would miss the noise so maybe they'd all make lots just so I feel at home, being as you feel our city should change, would you feel the same in reverse.
Thursday 31 May 2012 12.33pm
105pear wrote:
Hear hear, I too am fed up with the whinging about noise this is one of the busiest cities in the world it is not a small village in the country.
To the person who feels that the globe audience were disturbed more than the residents, how selfish and childish was that comment (my dads bigger than your dad). And shouts what is going on here, me me me me me me only I'm important, no one else has any rights.
Get a life please and stop making the forum so boring, or just move back to whatever sleepy hamlet you came from. Or maybe I should move to a sleepy hamlet, I would miss the noise so maybe they'd all make lots just so I feel at home, being as you feel our city should change, would you feel the same in reverse.

Patronising rambling from 'robdee', and a comical rebuke from '105pear'. Amazing what assumptions some people make about others lives. Take it you're not a theatre goer then, 105pear? ;)

btw, on another (presumably non-boring) thread did you tell your friends affected by their noisy neighbours to 'get a life' as well - or just helpfully suggest they move to a sleepy hamlet?
Thursday 31 May 2012 3.54pm
Hello "spartacus"
I was being patronising yes, because I have the common sense to realise I live in a busy, and therefore noisy city.
It's laughable when self-centered morons type furiously about an aircraft making too much noise, and it is NOT the same as having a noisy neighbor so don't compare the two.
We are all crammed into this city, and its only going to get more crowded and more noisy, so if you can't take a helicopter hovering overhead or a plane doing leisure flights around the city, you should move out now.

Have I rambled too much this time???

Never mind, I dont care.
Thursday 31 May 2012 4.21pm
I don't think allowing planes over a city is a given right. The airspace above Paris and many large French cities have always been closed to civil aviation. It's ok to provide a service to the city such as the air ambulance and military/police use. Touristic flights are not only polluting and noisy but totally unnecessary. Just get on any commercial plane flying to Heathrow airport, they all take a route across the city, right over Buckingham palace and Kew. I always make sure I take a window seat on the right hand side of the plane!
Thursday 31 May 2012 4.52pm
Oh dear, the pollution card is pulled out too.

Well I suppose its true that the airliners you're sitting in the window seat of run on fairy dust and exhaust unicorn farts... Wait, no it isn't.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions