London SE1 community website

Thames Path/Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 5 June 2012 1.01pm
There are more details at the original blog post here: http://eddiegillard.wordpress.com/2012/06/03/queen-put-at-risk-by-workfare-provider/.

I suspect the words I'd like to use would get the post deleted and me banned. Let's just say I'm now proud of the fact that I spent Sunday playing an old computer game called Portal, and ignoring the whole spectacle.
Tuesday 5 June 2012 4.24pm
grangousier wrote:
There are more details at the original blog post here: http://eddiegillard.wordpress.com/2012/06/03/queen-put-at-risk-by-workfare-provider/.
I suspect the words I'd like to use would get the post deleted and me banned. Let's just say I'm now proud of the fact that I spent Sunday playing an old computer game called Portal, and ignoring the whole spectacle.
Also reported on the BBC btw.
Wednesday 6 June 2012 11.48am
Good to see that the poor treatment of the security staff has now become a national issue. Their circumstances may also explain the variety of confusing advice we all received about accessing the Thames Path.

I think if I had been in their position I would have told everybody to go home!
Wednesday 6 June 2012 12.33pm
So, am I right in understanding that SE1 residents could have got onto the riverside if they'd flashed a utility bill at the blockages?! That's annoying. I had no clue about this and spent c.2 hours on Sunday early afternoon walking from Potters Fields, up past London bridge, all the way along to the Tate modern being turned away by a line of police at every entrance, and as a result didn't catch even a small glimpse of a boat. Hey ho - was a great Jubilee weekend all in all. Fantastic concert.
Wednesday 6 June 2012 9.08pm
I am disgusted not knowing about access to Shad Thames via my SE1 utility bills. Total shambles! It's obvious that it was done deliberately in secrecy to prevent others from entering.
Wednesday 6 June 2012 9.53pm
kaptau wrote:
I am disgusted not knowing about access to Shad Thames via my SE1 utility bills. Total shambles! It's obvious that it was done deliberately in secrecy to prevent others from entering.
not sure if it can be both deliberate and a shambles

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 8 June 2012 10.19am
I wrote to Walk London to see if they could clarify the status of the Thames Path and rights of access. Here is an extract from the reply from Abi Mansley:

"In terms of public rights of way, inner London Boroughs were exempt from drawing up maps of rights of way in the 1949 National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act.

Shad Thames is in Southwark - an inner London Borough, so it isnít marked on any maps of public rights of way and therefore would have no legal status that way. Put another way, Southwark has no duty to have a Definitive Map of rights of way which affords such routes protection in rural and semi-rural areas.

Even though it is National Trail (part of the Thames Path) I believe it is still private land. The walking route must be a permissive one - but without researching further I canít be sure. It isnít until you walk as far as Bexley that public rights of way are mapped on Definitive Maps."

I have written to Councillor Nick Stanton who I believe is councillor for Shad Thames and will also follow up with Southwark Council.

The 'Jubilee experience!' has aroused my curiousity as to just what our rights are to access the Path.
I'll report back.
Friday 8 June 2012 10.37am
Annabel wrote:
The 'Jubilee experience!' has aroused my curiousity as to just what our rights are to access the Path.
I'll report back

I was curious as to this 3-4 years ago. A strip of land known as Portland Wharf (right next to the old stairs) was unilaterally taken over by the restaurant underneath Tower Bridge and this now seems to have been extended still further. More info here [url=http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/110205/110205#msg-110205]
Friday 8 June 2012 1.38pm
slightly off topic but noticed they pulled up all the cobblestones under Tower Bridge.. They've replaced a lot of the river walk with a rather boring tarmac walkway.. really hope they are not planning on doing the same at Shad Thames as the cobbles may be **** for my bike but they really make the area special..

However suspect they may not be long for this world now.. any one know anything on this?
Friday 8 June 2012 2.25pm
therunningman wrote:
slightly off topic but noticed they pulled up all the cobblestones under Tower Bridge.. They've replaced a lot of the river walk with a rather boring tarmac walkway.. really hope they are not planning on doing the same at Shad Thames as the cobbles may be **** for my bike but they really make the area special..
However suspect they may not be long for this world now.. any one know anything on this?
Hopefully they'll just put in place more pedestrian/disabled person friendly cobblestones like tehy they did around the Southwark Cathedral/Clink Prison area rather than just tarmac. It's really improved the area as far as I am concerned.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions