London SE1 community website

Mugging on Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 15
Thursday 7 June 2012 10.51am
Guy's street wrote:
When I was out for my run last night I noticed more 'yoofs' than usual hanging around. It made me wonder whether it is to do with half term. Which in turn made me think at least that would mean the 'yoofs' must normally be busy with school work during term time.
Since there was a bit of a flurry of these incidents reported a few months ago I've been much more careful about having my phone out while walking around the area.

I thought it would be down to half term also. These kids don't look much older than 16. Still, what will happen when they leave school?

It makes me wonder what the police intend to do about this kind of thing during the Olympics. With SE1 becoming an Olympic hotspot, who knows how bad these incidents will get.
Saturday 9 June 2012 9.30am
My cousin was mugged for his iphone in exactly the same way on Wednesday at 8pm on Druid street. They've now caught up with the guy (who is 16) but can only charge him with handling stolen goods, not theft. If its the same guy you may be in luck.
Sunday 10 June 2012 9.31am
amarradia wrote:
My cousin was mugged for his iphone in exactly the same way on Wednesday at 8pm on Druid street. They've now caught up with the guy (who is 16) but can only charge him with handling stolen goods, not theft. If its the same guy you may be in luck.

If he had blue rims on his white bike, then it could well be.
Sunday 10 June 2012 10.15am
This should emphasise the point that wandering along looking at your messages or talking on your phone is just silly...and by the way very annoying for anyone else on the pavement. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN if you dont get that message or have that conversation later when you're indoors.
Monday 11 June 2012 3.35pm
My friend was walking home from work at about 4pm a couple of weeks ago near Bermondsey Spa gardens and 2 hoodied guys approached on bikes - one pushed her over into the bushes and the other went for her bag which she masterfully hung on to. She was more furious than upset as she said they looked about 14 yrs old. Have told her to report it to the police but she doesn't think its worth it. What do you think? I think unless it goes on crime figures then the police can carry on ignoring this type of crime.
Monday 11 June 2012 3.55pm
I think your friend should report it - if enough of these crimes are reported then the police have to direct their resources to this. She should contact the local Safer Neighbourhood Team.
Monday 11 June 2012 6.45pm
Yes definitely she should report it...
Monday 11 June 2012 9.08pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
This should emphasise the point that wandering along looking at your messages or talking on your phone is just silly...and by the way very annoying for anyone else on the pavement. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN if you dont get that message or have that conversation later when you're indoors.

What's the point of a mobile phone then? It's no longer mobile if it's not safe to use it in the street? we might as well get rid of them altogether... I call my partner en route(Once I am walking on Borough High Street) to let him know I am on my way and he can put the dinner on (for example) it's no good calling before I leave work who knows what troubles I might face on my journey home depending on where I am travelling from, flooded tubelines, people throwing themselves on the tubelines, traffic jams if on a bus, a 45 minute journey can take 2 hours on the wrong day... So some conversations/text are neccessary, I would agree alot of the time things can wait but to say
Quote:
NOTHING WILL HAPPEN if you dont get that message or have that conversation later when you're indoors.
Is slightly off key IMO
Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Tuesday 12 June 2012 10.00am
I agree with Jackie. It's all very well wanting to have safer streets. I'd love to be able to walk around waving a 500 mobile phone in the air without fear of it being stolen, but at present it's not realistic to expect that.

Think of your phone as a wad of notes. Would you walk down the street waving a handful of 20's?

Petty crime is largely opportunist. If more people made an effort not to present so many opportunities, there would be fewer people who found it worthwhile to commit these petty crimes. It's easy pickings.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 12 June 2012 12.05pm
All incidents like this should definitely be reported and the Safer Neighbourhood Team in Bermondsey have, in my experience, been very responsive. Ultimately, resources will only be deployed to fight a particular problem if the police know about it.

I agree that you SHOULD be able to use your phone wherever you go, but I think that we have to be realistic and exercise some caution anywhere in London (it's not just an SE1 problem).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions