London SE1 community website

Mugging on Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 15
Wednesday 13 June 2012 12.31pm
Jerry wrote:
I think the usual advice to avoid muggings is to NOT stand or walk by a wall as you cannot escape easily. The advice is to walk near a kerb so you can move to the other side of a road or escape easily. Of course you now have to watch your phone or bag for cycle thieves but if you walk towards traffic on your side of the road it is easier. I think this is standard night time walking advice in urban areas.

And make yourself a taser out of a disposable camera. It works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtx0dAC-jaA
Wednesday 13 June 2012 1.13pm
I think suggesting one make a taser is a little irresponsible.
Wednesday 13 June 2012 1.24pm
dvjj wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
nat_ash wrote:
It's not fair to say that we should NEVER make phone calls/send texts while walking around London streets.

Who's saying that?
I think nat_ash is referring to
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
This should emphasise the point that wandering along looking at your messages or talking on your phone is just silly...and by the way very annoying for anyone else on the pavement. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN if you dont get that message or have that conversation later when you're indoors.

I didn't read it that way at all. I read: "You need to be aware of the fact that your phone is attractive to thieves, so ambling along with your focus on the phone is silly"

But if you're looking to take offence, then I guess you'll find it wherever you look.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 13 June 2012 2.03pm
Tolstoy wrote:
I think suggesting one make a taser is a little irresponsible.

Purely for educational purposes of course. I would in no way suggest using it on those cheeky rascals who go around mugging people and threatening them with knives. Always have to bear in mind their "hooman rights innit"!
Wednesday 13 June 2012 2.07pm
I look forward to them wandering around with home made tasers.

'There's this sick link on SE1 forum, init!'
Wednesday 13 June 2012 4.07pm
dvjj wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
nat_ash wrote:
It's not fair to say that we should NEVER make phone calls/send texts while walking around London streets.

Who's saying that?
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
This should emphasise the point that wandering along looking at your messages or talking on your phone is just silly...and by the way very annoying for anyone else on the pavement. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN if you dont get that message or have that conversation later when you're indoors.

Yes that's what I was referring to, thanks :)
Wednesday 13 June 2012 4.09pm
Thanks Ivanhoe for standing up for me. Of course there is a good reason to have a mobile phone, particularly if you are a business big wig and need to be contactable 24/7. But far too many people, IMHO, are just wandering along chatting idly about something that really is far from urgent, because NOT being on the phone is beginning to imply that you are a social failure. Never mind that they are careering into the rest of us on the pavement, or weaving in front of those of us who want to walk faster. A sense of proportion, as always, is the point.
Wednesday 13 June 2012 4.10pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
dvjj wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
nat_ash wrote:

Who's saying that?
jackie rokotnitz wrote:

I didn't read it that way at all. I read: "You need to be aware of the fact that your phone is attractive to thieves, so ambling along with your focus on the phone is silly"

But if you're looking to take offence, then I guess you'll find it wherever you look.

Not taking offence at all, more an exercise of putting it into better words - i.e. common sense should always prevail, but you'll find a lot of people don't have it. Those important phone calls are ok as long as you're careful and stay aware.
Wednesday 13 June 2012 4.12pm
Also I'm not sure why I'm rambling on about language use and phrasing when the main message is just that these thieves are opportunists, so don't give them the opportunity.
Wednesday 13 June 2012 4.14pm
Tolstoy wrote:
I look forward to them wandering around with home made tasers.
'There's this sick link on SE1 forum, init!'

Oh I am sure most of them will have picked up on this link already. There are plenty of them that have been doing the rounds for quite a while now. Most of the muggers are too thick to carry out the rudimentary wiring necessary to make such a thing. And why would they bother, when they can just carry a blade around, get caught and receive a light rap on the knuckles from the magistrate (broken home your honour, no father figure your honour, excluded unfairly from school your honour etc etc ad nauseam).
Walk with purpose and the appearance of being able to look after yourself. If that doesn't work, make sure that you've got something to hit back with.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions