London SE1 community website

Mugging on Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 15
Wednesday 13 June 2012 8.53pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
make yourself a taser out of a disposable camera. It works!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtx0dAC-jaA

That is an illegal offensive weapon: if you are caught with it on you in the street, there is a strong likelihood that you'll be sharing a cell with the kind of person you sought to protect yourself from in the first place. Good luck with that...

Best course of action is to always comply with the demands of an armed robber, and only resort to self defence when it is clear you are about to be assaulted anyway and have reason to believe that life or limb are at risk.

There are several objects that may be legally carried without risk of arrest.
These include:

Hairspray or an aerosol deodorant sprayed in the face of an attacker will temporarily blind him or her, giving you a better chance of making a swift and safe getaway.

A tactical pen: this can be used as a kubotan and in the right hands, can debilitate an aggressor.

This kind of stuff is really only to be used in a last resort, 'back-against-the-wall' 'no-other-way-out' kind of situation.

Of course, you must not, under any circumstances, state to law enforcement that you are/were carrying these items for the purpose of self defence: that hairspray was for your hair, the pen was for writing.

"When faced such a terrifying threat, I desperately wanted something that I could use to defend myself and the pen/spray came to mind, constable."
Wednesday 13 June 2012 9.30pm
Jules62 wrote:
hairspray or an aerosol deodorant sprayed in the face of an attacker will temporarily blind him or her, giving you a better chance of making a swift and safe getaway.

Oven cleaner's better.
Thursday 14 June 2012 7.04am
Pieces of Eight wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
hairspray or an aerosol deodorant sprayed in the face of an attacker will temporarily blind him or her, giving you a better chance of making a swift and safe getaway.

Oven cleaner's better.
...Because we all handily have a can of oven cleaner in our handbag for no specific reason...lol

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Thursday 14 June 2012 7.19am
I do actually have a canister of tear gas in my bag....it's advised for elderly women like me.
Thursday 14 June 2012 8.58am
Given the state of mine and many other womens handbags i would never be able to find my hairspray/ tear gas / self defense pen in my bag

i was told to hold my keys in my hand with a long sharp key poking through my fingers ao if attacked i could defend myself by using this-however if someone pulled a knife on me i think i would hand over my valubles it is really annoying to have to say that but it would not be worth risking ones life for
Thursday 14 June 2012 12.47pm
dvjj wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
Jules62 wrote:

Oven cleaner's better.
...Because we all handily have a can of oven cleaner in our handbag for no specific reason...lol

But there is nothing to stop you carrying a can. In the unlikely event that you get stopped by plod, you tell them that you have just bought it and wanted to do your bit for the ecology by not asking for a carrier bag. If you had to use it on a miscreant, you wouldn't hang around waiting for plod anyway.
As for "LOL", here's something to bring the mood down a bit:

June 2010-June 2011 Reported rapes in London were three times higher than in New York.

June 2010-June 2011 Reported violent crimes were over two times higher than in New York

June 2010-June 2011 Reported robberies were nearly two times higher than in New York.

For anybody who remembers New York's crime-ridden past, who would have thought that you would now be seeing statistics like this?
Thursday 14 June 2012 12.52pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
dvjj wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
Jules62 wrote:

Oven cleaner's better.

But there is nothing to stop you carrying a can. In the unlikely event that you get stopped by plod, you tell them that you have just bought it and wanted to do your bit for the ecology by not asking for a carrier bag. If you had to use it on a miscreant, you wouldn't hang around waiting for plod anyway.

June 2010-June 2011 Reported rapes in London were three times higher than in New York.

June 2010-June 2011 Reported violent crimes were over two times higher than in New York

June 2010-June 2011 Reported robberies were nearly two times higher than in New York.

For anybody who remembers New York's crime-ridden past, who would have thought that you would now be seeing statistics like this?

My you're cheerful....

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Thursday 14 June 2012 4.10pm
In NY police on the street are much more plentiful...here they're like golddust
Thursday 14 June 2012 4.40pm
urbanite wrote:
In NY police on the street are much more plentiful...here they're like golddust

And the courts deal with repeat offenders in a much more robust fashion.
Thursday 14 June 2012 9.03pm

For anybody who remembers New York's crime-ridden past, who would have thought that you would now be seeing statistics like this?[/quote]

If you mean manhattan by new York. There is no comparison, no one but the super rich lives there anymore anyway. Everyone had to move out to Brooklyn. london is totally differemt
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions