London SE1 community website

Mugging on Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 15
Thursday 14 June 2012 10.44pm
[quote Julia7239]As for "LOL", here's something to bring the mood down a bit:

June 2010-June 2011 Reported rapes in London were three times higher than in New York.

June 2010-June 2011 Reported violent crimes were over two times higher than in New York

June 2010-June 2011 Reported robberies were nearly two times higher than in New York.

For anybody who remembers New York's crime-ridden past, who would have thought that you would now be seeing statistics like this?[/quote]

If you mean manhattan by new York. There is no comparison, no one but the super rich lives there anymore anyway. Everyone had to move out to Brooklyn. london is totally differemt[/quote]

No, the figures relate to the five boroughs.
Thursday 14 June 2012 11.44pm
I stand corrected!
Wednesday 4 July 2012 1.32pm
Another phone stolen last night from a woman on Tooley Street, around 9pm last night.

The three youths in question were seen scuttling behind the flats on Crucifix Lane - 2 on foot, 1 on a bike. Fortunately there were two PCSOs around, so I was able to point them in the right direction.
Thursday 5 July 2012 11.16pm
Last Thursday when I was walking down Morocco St at about 6.30pm (yes on my phone, guilty as charged) I felt a presence behind me and turned to find a young kid literally just centimetres off my back and I mean a centimetres. Turned to see two youths on the other side of the street out the front of the Terminal Studios side entrance, one on a bike.

All three were smiling at me and started to walking along with me, closing in. I knew I was about to get mugged! A lady who was walking towards us obviously didn't want trouble so took the short cut down the side of White Cube and made a quick get away (thanks!). I power walked and then sprinted around the corner into my building at City Walk. Not sure why they lost interest as my phone was in my hand but my handbag is always solidly under my arm. My partner says he's seem them around City Walk a fair bit recently. He's also seen some one drive out of the car park in a car with duct tape over half the licence plate and wearing gloves. Inner city living at its best!
Friday 6 July 2012 7.56am
Well done for being aware enough to not fall victim to these thugs. Please make sure you report it. If everybody reports incidents and near misses, the police will assign resources to try and tackle the problem.
Friday 6 July 2012 11.19am
Well said se1chap. Awareness is key in these situations (as is evident in LucilleV's post). The more aware we are that you are likely to be on these prats radar, particularly in certain areas, is a step towards preventing their covert tactics
Friday 6 July 2012 1.39pm
I had a similar situation last night, but on Tooley Street (outside the Bridge Lounge). Three kids on bikes were cycling slowly along the pavement trying to close in on people (easier to do as it's less busy at this end of Tooley St). For a small person like me, this is quite intimidating. I thought the best thing to do would be to step well to the side, keep my bag under my arm and walk on quickly.

I've noticed a surge in this kind of behaviour in the area lately :(
Friday 6 July 2012 2.09pm
2 kids 16ish followed me into my building lobby last year on Leathermarket Street...I challenged them and they came out with some rubbish then tried to "pat me down" according to the poilice description of what happened but I ended up hitting one of then a couple of times and the other ran off quickly followed by his mate. I'm not advocating this at all and it was just in the heat of the moment. I called the Police and we did a drive round but saw no-one. Please call the Poilce even if nothihng has happened, and hopefully they will get on the case. These little idiots need to be caught before they cause a major problem.
Friday 6 July 2012 2.40pm
urbanite wrote:
2 kids 16ish followed me into my building lobby last year on Leathermarket Street...I challenged them and they came out with some rubbish then tried to "pat me down" according to the poilice description of what happened but I ended up hitting one of then a couple of times and the other ran off quickly followed by his mate. I'm not advocating this at all and it was just in the heat of the moment. I called the Police and we did a drive round but saw no-one. Please call the Poilce even if nothihng has happened, and hopefully they will get on the case. These little idiots need to be caught before they cause a major problem.

I agree about calling the Police. I haven't as yet, but definitely will do if I see anything else again. I haven't lived in this area for long. Does it get worse during the school holidays?
Sunday 8 July 2012 4.02pm
This is not a solution but maybe a help. I own the Bridge Lounge which has been mentioned in a couple of posts so if you are feeling threatened and are nearby then come in and use us as a safe haven. The team have already been briefed ref the street thefts so I am sure they will do whatever they can to help.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions