London SE1 community website

Mugging on Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 15
Wednesday 11 July 2012 8.15am
I can't believe the police are not aware of what's going on and the discussion of it here, perhaps it would be useful if they commented and gave a point of view, though of course they would probably argue it might uncover whatever action they do plan. Maybe one for James and his team?

It was because I doubted they'd treat an incident of this nature as a life threatening circumstance (my understanding of 999) that I suggested 101.
Wednesday 11 July 2012 8.29am
Sidney wrote:
With all these sightings of these lads maybe someone should take a few photos on their phones.

I would but for the fear they'd steal it!
Wednesday 11 July 2012 9.22am
Guy's street wrote:
It doesn't surprise me to see this topic back at the top of the forum - I was walking home from Bermondsey St direction tonight, along Long Lane, as I came up Weston St and passed Leathermarket St I saw two lads matching the descriptions from earlier on, on bikes, hoods up, one white one black, cycling around going close to people on the pavement, having a good look at them and moving on. They did a loop around GS park, went back down through the estate following someone on foot.
I told my brother, who was heading back to the station, to leave his phone in his pocket as it was clear what they were up to, especially having read this discussion.

It was so blatant, and I'm sure these will be the same lads who others have seen, or been victim to. I don't know what, if anything, it would take for the police to do something proactive about something like this.

I saw them in Leathermarket Street last night too....around 5.35/40pm...they cycled out of Leathermarket Court and down the street towards Weston Street.
Wednesday 11 July 2012 10.32am
Sidney wrote:
I tried to get them once but they never answered their phone.

I tried them on Sunday/Monday this week only to find they are off until today. Still waiting on a phone call back from them.
Wednesday 11 July 2012 12.29pm
I don't think taking a picture is a good idea. I observed a hobby photographer one night taking pictures of some buildings on Southwark Street. Two youths walked by on the other side of the street and the photographer obviously thought it was a good idea to include them in his picture. Unsurprisingly, it turned out to be a bad idea as the youths noticed and came across the road to confront him. They were a bit drunk / high, but quite aggressive. The guy tried to reassure them that they weren’t in the picture, but they wanted to see for themselves and tried to grab the camera. The guy decided that was enough and ran off, camera and all. The 2 youths moved to follow him, at which time, I yelled “Oi”. They were startled just long enough for the photographer to gain enough distance and for me to disappear down my dark shortcut home. I yell “Oi” a lot, just the other day from my balcony late at night at some bloke who kept on pushing the girl he was arguing with into the bushes. Oddly enough he thought that telling me she is his girlfriend would make it any better. Somehow the distraction brought the girl to her senses, and she went off as well. On both occasions I would of course have called the police, but as long as kids can still be intimidated by a bloke’s gravelly voice, there is some hope yet. I think it is the fact that we rely on the police too much that encourages these kids’ behaviour. I am not saying everyone should stand up to them, but if they can’t predict how a members of the public might react, they might think twice about their actions.
Wednesday 11 July 2012 3.28pm
Just moving inot the area with a young family...... Have I made a mistake ?
Wednesday 11 July 2012 3.38pm
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
My children have grown up here. We wouldn't live anywhere else.
Wednesday 11 July 2012 3.45pm
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
I wouldn't say so. Great area, lots of families around, but like anywhere in London it is wise to be alert.
Wednesday 11 July 2012 5.31pm
Yeah, tis a lovely area with good parks, local shops and good community but like ANY area which spreads into other areas without real boundaries undesirable people come and go and recognising troublesome locals or outsiders isn't so easy unless you are alert.
Wednesday 11 July 2012 5.47pm
No, of course you haven't. This is an amazing place to live. The fact that so many people are discussing the problem and trying to find solutions shows what a great community we have too.
Current: 9 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions