London SE1 community website

Road-marking stencil for "Union Press" project

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Tuesday 19 June 2012 11.32am
Imagine you've considered Mary Wollstonecroft (Dolben St) and been to Info Shop http://www.56a.org.uk/ they'd supply maps like: http://www.alphabetthreat.co.uk/pasttense/page6.html

But maybe you could also include legendary labour figure Jack Dash. In his autobiography, he said that the only epitaph he wanted on his tombstone (related to his fights with dock owners):

Here lies Jack Dash

All he wanted was

To separate them from their cash
Tuesday 19 June 2012 5.03pm
Don't forget the old sorting office on Union St. Posties busting their asses at all sorts of odd and often horrible hours of the day! Now Sainsbury HQ or was. Not been there for a while.
Tuesday 19 June 2012 5.39pm
It's now the fire brigade HQ, MR

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 20 June 2012 4.55pm
Matilde wrote:
I would like to create a temporary and alternative road marking using eco-stencil (the rain will clean them!)

Can you please be more specific on what kind of "eco-stencil" you will use? Is the kind where you steam out the logo with a machine, or a water soluble paint/crayon? I've seen both methods and neither disappear for months. Not an issue if it's a worthwhile project like this (unlike National Geographic Channel who scared Borough High Street for months) but good to know.
Wednesday 20 June 2012 5.58pm
How about the beautiful garden on Copperfield Street, on the site of an old church that was bombed in the war? It's owned by Southwark Cathedral but has been tended by local residents for many decades.

In recent years, locals successfully fought the Cathedral's plans to monetize this land by building flats on the site, which would have deprived the community of a much-loved garden. The Cathedral eventually backed down after the death of the Dean, Colin Slee, who had been particularly keen on the development - in the end they actually apologised to the local community!

Definitely a good example of resistance against the gentrification of the area.

Google "All Hallows SE1" for some background on the story.
Wednesday 20 June 2012 11.03pm
Clive S wrote:
Imagine you've considered Mary Wollstonecroft (Dolben St) and been to Info Shop http://www.56a.org.uk/ they'd supply maps like: http://www.alphabetthreat.co.uk/pasttense/page6.html
But maybe you could also include legendary labour figure Jack Dash.

Thanks Clive for your precious help.
Mary Wollstonecroft needs definetely a road marking.

I've also been to the Info Shop, and I must say that the original map is really, really nice, and the bookshop as well. I will contact the authors.

Regarding Jack Dash, I was wondering if you know any direct place or action (a strike?) organized in the area of Union Street.
Wednesday 20 June 2012 11.11pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
Don't forget the old sorting office on Union St. Posties busting their asses at all sorts of odd and often horrible hours of the day! Now Sainsbury HQ or was. Not been there for a while.

Thanks Merlin, interesting. I was wondering what in your opinion makes the Post-Office a place to bring to attention rather than other factories in the area? Do you know any action (or similar) that took place there, important for the local history/memory?
Wednesday 20 June 2012 11.20pm
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
Matilde wrote:
I would like to create a temporary and alternative road marking using eco-stencil (the rain will clean them!)

Can you please be more specific on what kind of "eco-stencil" you will use? Is the kind where you steam out the logo with a machine, or a water soluble paint/crayon? I've seen both methods and neither disappear for months. Not an issue if it's a worthwhile project like this (unlike National Geographic Channel who scared Borough High Street for months) but good to know.

Hello, I will use a chalk spray for temporary applications - water soluble. I have done some last Sunday, and the next Tuesday - without even raining! - few of them were already disappeared...

What about National Geographic Channel? Could you tell me something about it? Thanks
Wednesday 20 June 2012 11.39pm
Beowulf wrote:
How about the beautiful garden on Copperfield Street, on the site of an old church that was bombed in the war? It's owned by Southwark Cathedral but has been tended by local residents for many decades.
In recent years, locals successfully fought the Cathedral's plans to monetize this land by building flats on the site, which would have deprived the community of a much-loved garden. The Cathedral eventually backed down after the death of the Dean, Colin Slee, who had been particularly keen on the development - in the end they actually apologised to the local community!

Definitely a good example of resistance against the gentrification of the area.

Google "All Hallows SE1" for some background on the story.

Road marking for All Hallows, thanks!
Wednesday 20 June 2012 11.52pm
do you go to the Great Suffolk Street local shopping area? Is it a point of reference for the local community?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions