London SE1 community website

Good places for different cuisine ingredients

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 7 July 2012 3.19pm
I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for interesting independent shops locally for hard to find ingredients? (not borough or malt by) I schlepped all the way to bethnal green today to go to Casa Mexico (brilliant btw) and used to go to Damascus in west London. I enjoy experimenting with different cuisines, Are there any local favorites out there for you? I notice a lot of African and Brazilian places around but not sure what is worth a visit. Or what would be good recipes, I quite like chatting to people for their advice in the shops. So somewhere with a helpful proprietor is always welcome.
Saturday 7 July 2012 3.39pm
How about a trip to Peckham to Persepolis for Persian ingredients. Or Ev in Isabella St, nr Southwark Tube for Turkish.
Saturday 7 July 2012 5.57pm
I was thinking of Persepolis when I was reading the OP. Run by couple- Iranian man and English woman, both extremely helpful. I got very detailed instructions on how to make dolma when buying vine leaves there.
Saturday 7 July 2012 6.56pm
Thanks. I have never been there. Will venture
Saturday 7 July 2012 8.48pm
For a good description of Persopolis and other shopping opportunities in our area do go to this website:

www.theskintfoodie.com

Apart from wonderful recipes, he gives valuable shopping tips. One of the best food blogs I know. Thanks to him I discovered Persopolis and the shop is super!
Sunday 8 July 2012 9.57am
Latino shops upstairs at Elephant Shopping Centre, Elephant Rd and arches by Strata; African, Turkish, Chinese, Brazilian on Walworth Rd.
Sunday 8 July 2012 1.28pm
Can you suggest good, cheap Brazilian?
Sunday 8 July 2012 4.28pm
Yeah bring on the wax....I can handle it! :-)

( my attempt at feeble humour sunday afternoon!)
Sunday 8 July 2012 6.17pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Yeah bring on the wax....I can handle it! :-)
( my attempt at feeble humour sunday afternoon!)

Haha, that is very funny coming from you! Had a good chuckle.
Sunday 8 July 2012 6.48pm
Let me clarify: SE1 shops with Brasilian ingredients! :)
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions