London SE1 community website

Pavements

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 11 July 2012 9.26am
The narrow pavements along Bermondsey Street would be a good target for this. And the problems is more the Council's 'street furniture' than shops or restaurants advertising their wares. Some of it is clearly useful, but much of it clearly isn't. The bollards in the pavement, rather than at the edge, and the signpoles without any signs on would be a good first cut at it...
Wednesday 11 July 2012 9.50am
and outside the Simon the Tanner as well

mind you this summer not really been nice enough for anyone to stand outside!!
Wednesday 11 July 2012 12.47pm
I'm in favour of safer passage for pedestrians, but I can't help but sigh at the extra bureaucracy for small businesses - another form to fill-in, another fee to pay the council, another licence to display.

Council officers should regularly patrol streets to ensure pavements are clear and speak to businesses that aren't complying; I don't see how this new licence will aid to that process?
Wednesday 11 July 2012 12.56pm
If businesses showed a bit of consideration and common sense it would never have got to licensing. The staff of the Kings Arms should all have an eye destroyed and told to start using the other one or they'll lose that too.
Friday 13 July 2012 9.11pm
Would it be the highways agency or southwark council that could do something about the big outside obstruction from joes kitchen up on marshalsea road? For the past month, they've been putting tables, chairs and metal pole banner thing, further and further across the path, and now they've stuck a big chalkboard to block it completely.

Now the high street is clearing, it's the (big) side roads !
Saturday 14 July 2012 12.00am
Bloggie wrote:
Would it be the highways agency or southwark council that could do something about the big outside obstruction from joes kitchen up on marshalsea road?

They got permission last year to put a screened seating area on the pavement when they are open.

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9541531
Saturday 14 July 2012 9.43am
James Hatts wrote:
The council has already issued notices to all the businesses on Stoney Street ordering them to clear the pavements for the Olympics.

I'd like to see that work James. I've had my car kicked on more that one occasion my drinkers from the Market Porter.
I usually try to access Park St by going via Southwark Bridge but there were ongoing road works about 178 months ago so the only access was past the crowds.
I always though that the M Porter tok the mick with their crowd barriers placed a yard or so into the road.
Zoe
Saturday 14 July 2012 2.56pm
You try going past on a bike! They are a bad tempered set of drinkers.
Saturday 14 July 2012 3.01pm
Slightly off topic, but has there ever been any plan/discussion to pedestrianise Stoney Street etc. that anyone knows of?
Sunday 15 July 2012 1.46pm
Bloggie wrote:
Would it be the highways agency or southwark council that could do something about the big outside obstruction from joes kitchen up on marshalsea road? For the past month, they've been putting tables, chairs and metal pole banner thing, further and further across the path, and now they've stuck a big chalkboard to block it completely.
Now the high street is clearing, it's the (big) side roads !
oh dear, yet another planning thing that us locals do not get told about, unless we go searching after the fact. still, they are well over half the pavement area and you can't walk past without bumping into stuff.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions