London SE1 community website

Whitesmith's Arms, Crosby Row - closed down?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 6 August 2012 10.50pm
So much interest now the pub is closed ! To you people that were regular customers...thank you for your support. There is no repossession I've decided to close because the area just does not like this pub ! A pub is only as good as it's customers and we just didn't have enough of those to keep going.
Tuesday 7 August 2012 9.23pm
Shame to see a local pub close but this one in particular looked totally out of date and not very welcoming
Tuesday 7 August 2012 9.35pm
Shame indeed. There will be no local pubs left in a few years time. I think I asked this question before but have people stopped going out for a pint at locals? Have they had their day as the local population changes? BoroughPaul says they are 'out of date' so maybe that means (some) people want something else from a pub. What would that be?
Wednesday 8 August 2012 7.57am
I was referring to the decor it was well in need of a refurb
Wednesday 8 August 2012 1.57pm
There are a whole load of reasons why pubs are closing (running at about 16 per week nationally), including (in no particular order):

Many pubs (eg in SE1) occupying prime locations for building residential accomodation; particularly for heavily indebted pubco's, the attraction of a large sum of money now is much greater than a potential stream of income into the future.

Beer ties and high taxation making it increasingly difficult for landlords to make a profit, particularly from the wet trade.

Social changes - fewer local employers making the post-work drink rarer, more choices for how to spend leisure hours, pressure on people's disposable income.

Competition from supermarkets making drinking at home (assuming you're happy to drink industrial lagers) much cheaper than going to the pub.

We're blessed with many great pubs in SE1 but, as Fraise pointed out, if you don't want to lose your local, you have to use it.

Also, you might want to join CAMRA (www.camra.org.uk) and support their campaigns.

[Declarations of interest - no commercial involvement in pub trade, other than as a customer, inactive CAMRA member]
Wednesday 19 September 2012 2.35am
boroughpaul wrote:
Shame to see a local pub close but this one in particular looked totally out of date and not very welcoming

Sounds like your describing the local drinkers in this area !
Wednesday 19 September 2012 2.39am
boroughpaul wrote:
I was referring to the decor it was well in need of a refurb

When did you last go in ? It was decorated inside and out in June 2011. The back garden was planted and looked lovely.
Sometimes I get the feeling people put comments on here without being particularly well informed of their subject !
Wednesday 19 September 2012 2.44am
Rambling Phil wrote:
There are a whole load of reasons why pubs are closing (running at about 16 per week nationally), including (in no particular order):
Many pubs (eg in SE1) occupying prime locations for building residential accomodation; particularly for heavily indebted pubco's, the attraction of a large sum of money now is much greater than a potential stream of income into the future.

Beer ties and high taxation making it increasingly difficult for landlords to make a profit, particularly from the wet trade.

Social changes - fewer local employers making the post-work drink rarer, more choices for how to spend leisure hours, pressure on people's disposable income.

Competition from supermarkets making drinking at home (assuming you're happy to drink industrial lagers) much cheaper than going to the pub.

We're blessed with many great pubs in SE1 but, as Fraise pointed out, if you don't want to lose your local, you have to use it.

Also, you might want to join CAMRA (www.camra.org.uk) and support their campaigns.

[Declarations of interest - no commercial involvement in pub trade, other than as a customer, inactive CAMRA member]

I totally agree....especially with the first 2 points. My landlords decided the site was no longer viable and then put the rent back up, even though they knew the pub wasn't taking enough to pay it!
Wednesday 2 January 2013 5.33pm
The Whitesmith's Arms seems to have reopened. Is it new management? Has anyone been in?
Wednesday 2 January 2013 5.49pm
Good news! - must pay a visit. Love that quirky pub.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions