London SE1 community website

A quick question

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Tuesday 17 July 2012 8.00pm
Tuesday 17 July 2012 10.08pm
chalkey wrote:
God bless SE1 !! (Wipes tear from eye, sips wine.)

SE16 too! (Sips Calvados with a tear of joyful anticipation)
Eagerly looking forward to a 17hr.50mins. flight to Quito, Ecuador, including a 2hr.30mins. layover in Houston TX. this Thursday, for 6 weeks of traffic free/Olympic free/bitching Brits free, total relaxation in a large house with pool and hot tub.
Stacks of wine, vodka, beer, grapefruit and orange juice, books and scrabble.
Four couples, 3 Black Cab drivers and wives, one retired Black Cab driver and wife. First one to suggest watching the Olympics will be evicted.
Tuesday 17 July 2012 10.18pm
I am excited about the Olympics. The actual sporting event, not the surrounding hullabaloo. Have tickets for 4 events, can't wait.
Wednesday 18 July 2012 8.21am
Only evicted, Tom?
You're getting soft!
Safe journey and have a great time.
I'm going fishing on Friday. (Just thought I'd mention that.)
Wednesday 18 July 2012 8.26am
Tom Pepper wrote:
chalkey wrote:

Eagerly looking forward to a 17hr.50mins. flight to Quito, Ecuador, including a 2hr.30mins. layover in Houston TX. this Thursday, for 6 weeks of traffic free/Olympic free/bitching Brits free, total relaxation in a large house with pool and hot tub.
Four couples, 3 Black Cab drivers and wives, one retired Black Cab driver and wife. First one to suggest watching the Olympics will be evicted.

Oh my God, a house with 4 cabbies, that'll b e at least 20 opinions on every subject. ;-))
Wednesday 18 July 2012 10.39am
marcusm wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
chalkey wrote:

Oh my God, a house with 4 cabbies, that'll b e at least 20 opinions on every subject. ;-))

A typical civilian underestimation marcus, more like 25 opinions on every subject, and then only if the wives let us get our opinions in!
Strangely enough, none of the four fit the preconceived mode of Black Cab drivers, e.g. we all four disagree with the death penalty.
One though, (the youngest funnily enough), has to be restrained by someone if the subject turns to immigration, plus he is the only one who will on occasion say something vaguely racist. We tolerate him because aside from that he is a stand-up guy, plus he is always the first one to go to the bar and get the drinks in, but he has had weeks of training and threats to rid his vocabulary of the non PC word spick for when we are in Ecuador.
But he will be given free rein should a minicab tout us in Quito with their ubiquitous phrase, "Looking for a cab sir?" Or over there, " Quieres un taxi seņor? or, "Busca de un taxi seņor?"
Wednesday 18 July 2012 12.35pm
Tom,
Just a thought. As old habits often die hard, when cabbies have a conversation, do they sit back to back?

(Tee-Hee.)
Wednesday 18 July 2012 1.56pm
chalkey wrote:
TimC,
I must confess I have, on occasions, been a little mischievous and posted stuff on the 'Chatter' page purely to invite, (or, sometimes provoke,) a response. It's what chatter, (with no inverted commas,) is all about.
Either your post is a genuine comment, or you've posted it for similar reasons to mine. If it's the latter, then well done; it's worked a treat. It's lovely to see how the SE1 er's have responded and rallied around the flag in the sites defence. I would live in SE1 tomorrow if I could afford to, but I'm a castaway in the Thames estuary, in darkest Westcliff. But who knows, (elephant's graveyard and all that, ) I may be back!
I could think of a lot worse places to spend my remaining years.

Hey! I'm from Westcliff. It's a lovely place
Wednesday 18 July 2012 2.05pm
Tom,
From someone who has always supported your side of the trade, for me the aspiring imitators are just that, pale imitations, you have yourself a good time, do plenty of walking, eat lots of salad, and don't go overboard with the vino blanco!
Can you hear all the malcontents?
Mutter, mutter, "We'll all suffer the crowded roads and trains, while those filthy rich black cab drivers are off to spend their ill gotten gains, bitch, moan, shake heads!"
I don't think that they are ill gotten, you deserve all you get for putting up with the public here.
Wednesday 18 July 2012 3.30pm
Debrajoan wrote:
Tom...Can you hear all the malcontents? Mutter, mutter, "We'll all suffer the crowded roads and trains, while those filthy rich black cab drivers are off to spend their ill gotten gains, bitch, moan, shake heads!"
I don't think that they are ill gotten, you deserve all you get for putting up with the public here.

Blimey, what sweeping generalisations, from both of you, damning us all in several swipes. As far as it's possible to tell, 'Saint' Tom isn't above a bit of bitchy snark himself, and doesn't require encouragement to enjoy his holiday itinerary.

@TimC - it's a characteristic of general internet forums to have a mix of negative / positive / pointless / self-aggrandising / rude / smug / name-your-adjective style posts. Perhaps you've just concentrated on the negative 'moaners' or maybe they / we are more likely to post when aggrieved than when happy! The rants are often far more entertaining than the rambling anecdotes.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions