London SE1 community website

A quick question

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Monday 23 July 2012 11.18pm
I'm a "local" and I don't feel dismissed. Bermondsey certainly feels a lot more integrated than some other parts of London - Shoreditch/Hoxton has a real dissonance with all the trendies and the "locals" (actually I really want to say working class)- they share the same space but there doesn't seem to be any interaction.

Over the past 20 years Bermondsey has seen an influx of people who have given the area a buzz that it had lost in the post-war years.

Now if you want moaning, there is a group on facebook centred on a nearby area where a lot of the comments bemoan the fact that lots of new people have moved in and changed the character, but the people doing the moaning all p****d off out of it years ago and somehow feel entitled to get angry that it's not the same!
Tuesday 24 July 2012 10.50am
Auntie Pat wrote:
Now if you want moaning, there is a group on facebook centred on a nearby area where a lot of the comments bemoan the fact that lots of new people have moved in and changed the character, but the people doing the moaning all p****d off out of it years ago and somehow feel entitled to get angry that it's not the same!

I did smile when I read this because I've thought the same as you Auntie Pat. Some people on that site just like to reminisce but others take it too far and begrudge the fact that the area has moved on in respect of the diversity of shops, buildings and people. Unless they are living in a remote area of the Scottish highlands for example, the same must be happening in the areas they now live in.
Wednesday 8 August 2012 10.48pm
Thought that I'd give you an update from Quito, Ecuador, as I'm in a WiFi hotspot. It may amuse you, let's see. One of the wives had a birthday last weekend so we all chipped in to give her a day in a beauty parlour, manicure, pedicure, hair, make-up, massage, the whole nine yards. We had reservations at Quito's premier French restaurant, Dios no Muere that evening, which incidentally translates to God doesn't die. We piled into our rented 9 seater Lincoln and headed into town and parked somewhere off Avenida 6 de Diciembre. After a fantastic dinner, escargots, bouillabaisse, fruits de mer, fromage de chèvre etc. accompanied with Chablis Grand Cru and Champagne and followed by coffee, Cognac, Armagnac, and Calvados we made our way gingerly to the taxi stand at Avenida Gran Colombia. Like good fraternal professionals, we gave our destination quietly to the two taxi drivers and were back in the 'burbs within twenty five minutes. It was the following lunchtime when we surfaced that we realised that no one could remember exactly where we'd parked the car!
I had picked up the taxi's card fortunately, and called for one cab in garbled Spanglish. Three of us went to the restaurant in it and fanned out to search the area, it was found in ten minutes and a text message sent by the finder to the others, so all ended well. Hope that you are enjoying the Olympics, we are being told that London's roads are empty.
Zoe
Thursday 9 August 2012 6.39am
Oh Tom, you are so showing off and I can't believe you went on holiday without me.

I think we've all had that "now where did I I leave the car" moments, I even do it with my bike (oh god my bike has been stolen.....oh no, it's on the rack over the road).

Have a great holiday!
Thursday 9 August 2012 2.12pm
Zoe wrote:
Oh Tom, you are so showing off and I can't believe you went on holiday without me.
I think we've all had that "now where did I I leave the car" moments, I even do it with my bike (oh god my bike has been stolen.....oh no, it's on the rack over the road).

Have a great holiday!

I hear you on that "sinking" feeling Zoe, I once parked my cousin's small, white Peugeot in the car park at Galeries Lafayette on Haussman Boulevard in Paris.
Not thinking to write the space number down I returned to what resembled a Peugeot car showroom!
As for Mr. Pepper's "showing off", I had to smile when thinking of three black cab drivers trying to remember the street that they'd parked on, when they probably drive from Olympia to Waterloo on automatic pilot, without thinking.
I guess the Knowledge doesn't extend to Ecuador.
Zoe
Thursday 9 August 2012 6.20pm
Like! :-)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions