London SE1 community website

Opening Ceremony - anything in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
ADT
Tuesday 24 July 2012 4.49pm
I was referring to concerns about the use of the word Olympic. Can't help you with your other woes, you poor thing.
Tuesday 24 July 2012 7.06pm
ADT wrote:
I was referring to concerns about the use of the word Olympic. Can't help you with your other woes, you poor thing.

You are aware that I was not serious when I suggested that we could be in trouble for using the word "Olympic" in this thread aren't you? I was merely taking a light-hearted side swipe at the five ringed corporate paranoia which has spawned instances like this

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/news/top-five-olympic-branding-breaches/4002850.article

As for my "woes", I have none. I just wish there were a way that taxpayers would not be lumbered with paying for non-essential jolly's like this. I am absolutely certain that were this the case, enthusiastic individuals such as yourself would be more than willing to dig deep and make up the shortfall.
Tuesday 24 July 2012 8.56pm
I'm trying to plan plans myself -- does anyone know what time the spectacular at Tower Bridge will commence on Friday?
ADT
Wednesday 25 July 2012 8.35am
PofE - could not tell what level of misinformation you are working on, so I thought I'd play safe.

james - I cannot find much out about it and I guess that they are keeping it secret to keep the details of the opening ceremony a suprise. The torch is at City Hall in the afternoon, so I suppose there could be stuff at Potters Fields afternoon and evening. I was planning on heading past that way on the way home from work, stopping if we come across anything interesting and staying until it is no longer interesting. There were those stories a while back with the marine abseiling from the helicopter by the bridge, so that could be involved?
Wednesday 25 July 2012 8.40am
The abseiling a few weeks back was for the torch relay which happened for real last Friday.

The question is what the fireworks last night were for:

Was it a rehearsal or a filmed sequence for the closing ceremony, perhaps? With Daniel Craig in a boat going back upstream, to match this helicopter sequence in the opening ceremony which was in the opposite direction (towards Stratford)?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 25 July 2012 9.31am
ADT wrote:
PofE - could not tell what level of misinformation you are working on, so I thought I'd play safe.

Translation: I have no logical counter-argument.

Next please....
ADT
Wednesday 25 July 2012 12.44pm
Thanks James.

PofF - next what?
Wednesday 25 July 2012 12.58pm
Not quite SE1, more SE3 I believe, but there is a free big screen on Blackheath Common.

Oh and do stop sniping, it is getting tedious.
Wednesday 25 July 2012 1.10pm
The Al Jazeera pop-up studio by Gabriel's Wharf has a couple of large screens on the back, I'm sure they'll be showing it.
Wednesday 25 July 2012 2.46pm
james127 wrote:
I'm trying to plan plans myself -- does anyone know what time the spectacular at Tower Bridge will commence on Friday?
I am sure that I read somewhere the Torch will reach City Hall around 12.30pm on Friday for a photo opportunity with Tower Bridge in the background. I imagine that Potters Fields will be packed with the world's press!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions