London SE1 community website

Opening Ceremony - anything in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
ADT
Wednesday 25 July 2012 3.39pm
The torch relay info I came across suggested 1pm at City Hall and then didn't give further information about the route from there to the Olympic park, where I expect it will arrive around 20.12 for the end of some big countdown and commencement of the main event. It is coming by boat to City Hall. I figured the torch would move on during the afternoon and be somewhere en route to the stadium, so not certain what there will be to see by the bridge for later on - especially since the Potters Fields website is still adamant that the big screen there is not showing the opening ceremony.
Wednesday 25 July 2012 4.07pm
My understanding is that the Opening Ceremony will not be shown at Potters Field as their licence requires events to finish at 10 pm when the Ceremony will just be getting going. Can understand why the organisers might not want to flick the OFF switch at that time with several hundred people watching the screen.
Wednesday 25 July 2012 4.54pm
The bells, the bells......

Right now it sounds as though St Georges is limbering up for the 08.12 campanology fest on Friday.
Wednesday 25 July 2012 9.47pm
juanita wrote:
james127 wrote:
I'm trying to plan plans myself -- does anyone know what time the spectacular at Tower Bridge will commence on Friday?
I am sure that I read somewhere the Torch will reach City Hall around 12.30pm on Friday for a photo opportunity with Tower Bridge in the background. I imagine that Potters Fields will be packed with the world's press!

The worlds press have their own vantage point above The Scoop which will be used to photograph and interview athletes/celebs/anyone else they fancy with Tower Bridge as a backdrop. This is one of such sites dotted around photogenic parts of town
ADT
Thursday 26 July 2012 9.06am
"Max Project" - appears in the Tower Bridge lift times for 21.40 downstream on Friday. Does any one have any ideas what that is? There is a similar entry for tonight (also indicated as going downstream), so that might reveal something.
Thursday 26 July 2012 9.24am
Are LOCOG organising it? Let's hope they get the flags right!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18993023

Classic!
Thursday 26 July 2012 9.58am
James Hatts wrote:
Was it a rehearsal or a filmed sequence for the closing ceremony, perhaps? With Daniel Craig in a boat going back upstream, to match this helicopter sequence in the opening ceremony which was in the opposite direction (towards Stratford)?

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with #savethesurprise
Thursday 26 July 2012 4.52pm
I was thinking of cycling to work tomorrow, but my route goes over Tower Bridge, and I'm not entirely sure that it will be open at the time when I need to travel back home...
although catching the overground East London Line from Whitechapel might be comparably as bad being forced to cycle a few miles further.
Jac
Thursday 26 July 2012 9.28pm
Tower bridge has been going up and down all day today at least 16 times but it is only opening once tomorrow so you should be fine.
Thursday 26 July 2012 9.49pm
and that once is for the 'Max Project' @ 21.40

If, as per the last couple of nights the 'Max Project' has occurred, it will be: lights, lasers, bridge lift, illuminated power boat zapping under bridge and a few seconds of fireworks.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions