London SE1 community website

Opening Ceremony - anything in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Friday 27 July 2012 10.31am
I've received some info about the lighting of the Olympic(TM) cauldron tonight. Apparently, it will be George Osborne lighting it, whilst Seb Coe laughs maniacally and throws wads of taxpayers money in to keep the flame burning.
I know that as part of the closing ceremonmy, Boris Johnson will be handing an oversized key to the Quatari royals, to symbolise their purchase of the Olympic(TM) village. It has cost nearly a billion of taxpayers money to build and the Quataris have snapped it up for 550 million.
I'm so excited....
Friday 27 July 2012 2.29pm
spartacus wrote:
The bells, the bells......

whoops..

Ian Fletcher, Head of Deliverance, for the Twenty Twelve Olympic Deliverance Commission, commented:

"As with the flags, this was a perfectly routine accident and nothing to be concerned about going forward"

So that's all good then.
Friday 27 July 2012 3.16pm
Jeremy Hunt, classic cockney rhyming slang.
Saturday 28 July 2012 10.15pm
Speaking of the opening ceremony did anyone notice what that French athlete thought of it?
Pause BBC iplayer at 1:55.44
Sunday 29 July 2012 12.23am
Pieces of Eight wrote:
ADT wrote:
PofE - I am, what concerns did you have? You're not exactly selling anything, are you? Nothing to do with Coe or 2012 either, other than the fact that they pulled 'London 2012' etc. in with the other protected words - restrictions on use of the Olympic symbols/related protected words have been around for ages.

The concerns I have is that the whole Olympic Committee are as corrupt as hell, Coe's got his nose in the trough, the two biggest sponsors are major contributors to obesity in this country, I am being told where I should go/shouldn't go and at what times I should do it, I will be paying for it for years to come, the original cost has ballooned to four times it's original estimate, etc etc.
My original post was actually just a light hearted swipe at the corporate greed of the Olympics. I wouldn't take it too much to heart ADT. You will have your bread and circuses and I hope you have a wonderful time.
I do agree with you as I cant get to see my Father while this is going on which angers me plus I am stuck bang in the middle of it, Either way I am go I am stuck. They are telling us not to use trains or drive. people still have to get to and from work as well. When its all over what will the grounds be used for, plus people were turfed out of their homes as well to build it there, I read about it on line. As you say, we are being told where we can and cant go now. We still have a life dont we.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions