London SE1 community website

Runners in Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Monday 13 August 2012 1.08pm
I founded this running club in May 2010 and have lived in the area for just shy of a decade. I run this club free of charge and would like to apologise to anyone that has been barged into. I can't speak for every member of the club but I can assure you that the vast majority of my members are good people that live and work in the area that simply want to get a bit fitter. That said I understand that we have grown to a large size. To ensure we don't inconvenience people going about their way I'll now sub divide the groups into smaller groups and make sure everyone is very respectful to other people using the pavements, particularly on Bermondsey Street. If you would like to ask any questions or make any suggestions please email me directly on [email protected] Many thanks Tim
Monday 13 August 2012 2.52pm
Thank you, Tim. The voice of reason. Good luck - you're a good group and I've met quite a few of you, over the years. Keep it up! :-)
Tuesday 14 August 2012 3.06pm
This site is an excellent site but at times it really does become a tad puerile and quite often by the same few. I have had bad experience with my children on Bermondsey street who struggle enough to stay safe on the pavement without being bumped off by runners or cyclists coming down the wrong way on a one way street. Then the amount of abuse I have seen from cyclists towards those who are clearly unaware and a little confused about cyclists coming the other way is just staggering. I don't believe anyone is malicously stepping in their path. My children are locals but still struggle to understand the concept of cars coming one way and that's their focus.

However, I have met Tim on several occasions, the first being when he set this club up. He said he had 12 members and hoped to be at about 30. What I can say about Tim is that he is a very genuine, sincere and caring guy. He would be disappointed to know members of his group were causing such disruption and he will stand by his actions above. Which can be all to rare in good ole London town.
Tuesday 14 August 2012 3.19pm
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
This site is an excellent site but at times it really does become a tad puerile and quite often by the same few. I have had bad experience with my children on Bermondsey street who struggle enough to stay safe on the pavement without being bumped off by runners or cyclists coming down the wrong way on a one way street. Then the amount of abuse I have seen from cyclists towards those who are clearly unaware and a little confused about cyclists coming the other way is just staggering. I don't believe anyone is malicously stepping in their path. My children are locals but still struggle to understand the concept of cars coming one way and that's their focus.
However, I have met Tim on several occasions, the first being when he set this club up. He said he had 12 members and hoped to be at about 30. What I can say about Tim is that he is a very genuine, sincere and caring guy. He would be disappointed to know members of his group were causing such disruption and he will stand by his actions above. Which can be all to rare in good ole London town.

While I agree with most of what you say, can I just point out that you are wrong to state "cyclists coming down the wrong way on a one way street" in relation to Bermondsey St. It is only one way for motorised traffic - for cyclists it is as much one way as it is for pedestrians.
Tuesday 14 August 2012 3.43pm
And it is 2 way for motorised vehicles between Tanner Street and White's Grounds
Tuesday 14 August 2012 4.07pm
To a child and a 1st time visitor it's a one way street. Whether I'm wrong or what ever, to non locals and children it's confusing and they are not aware, but you prove another point .....
Tuesday 14 August 2012 4.17pm
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
To a child and a 1st time visitor it's a one way street. Whether I'm wrong or what ever, to non locals and children it's confusing and they are not aware, but you prove another point .....
My advice to any child or non local would be to always look both ways before crossing the road. That's what I was taught at school.
My advice to any person on a bike or in a car would be do drive at an appropriate speed. And on a narrow, heavily populated street like Bermondsey St, that speed should be slow.
Tuesday 14 August 2012 4.38pm
Yaye for Guy's street, smarter than us all and advice for all, well done you clearly a better parent than me .....
Tuesday 14 August 2012 5.09pm
'Yaye for Guy's street, smarter than us all and advice for all, well done you clearly a better parent than me .....'

I would have thought the advice was fairly non-controversial?
Tuesday 14 August 2012 5.22pm
No ones asking for your advice Guy's street. My "opinion" although wrong according to you, is that children and 1st time visitors see it as a one way street for cars. Who cares what you were taught at school. I doubt any child picks it up 1st time. It's clearly an issue and that's why Mark R and Lib Dems are looking into it. Believe it or not there are probably smarter people than you who get it wrong. Still you did agree with most of my points....ironic.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions