London SE1 community website

Runners in Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8
Tuesday 14 August 2012 6.04pm
Oh dear, here we go again, ironic indeed LOL - and just as I thought this thread was going to end on a happy note with the very positive and constructive post from Tim.
Wednesday 15 August 2012 12.53am
yes thanks Tim taking your time to sort this and poat i really appreciated. Good mAn!
Wednesday 15 August 2012 8.59am
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
No ones asking for your advice Guy's street. My "opinion" although wrong according to you, is that children and 1st time visitors see it as a one way street for cars. Who cares what you were taught at school. I doubt any child picks it up 1st time. It's clearly an issue and that's why Mark R and Lib Dems are looking into it. Believe it or not there are probably smarter people than you who get it wrong. Still you did agree with most of my points....ironic.

Your opinion is probably right - I've not said it is wrong. All I have suggested is that for those unfamiliar (or not) with any area should definitely be cautious when crossing a road, and children are taught (or at least were) to look both ways. Back in the day I was never taught to look both ways except on streets that look like they're one-way. Maybe the rhyme didn't work for that one?

Anyway, relax. You didn't ask for my advice, just like nobody asked for your opinion, but this is an open forum and it is for discussion, opinions, advice etc. I didn't mean to cause any offence and don't think my "unwanted" advice was a reason for you to start chucking insults and snide remarks around.
Wednesday 15 August 2012 11.26am
Reading this thread makes me think the whole forum should be shut down! It even makes me want to go and join this running club, not something I would normally consider...But I can't help relishing the idea of annoying further the likes of some of the very opinionated contributors here. Of course if I do join, be warned, I'll be cycling to get there.
Wednesday 15 August 2012 12.19pm
EleanorT wrote:
Reading this thread makes me think the whole forum should be shut down! It even makes me want to go and join this running club, not something I would normally consider...But I can't help relishing the idea of annoying further the likes of some of the very opinionated contributors here. Of course if I do join, be warned, I'll be cycling to get there.
Maybe you could kill 2 birds with one stone: join the running club AND leave the forum. Kevin will probably welcome you with open arms, not sure about Tim. The fact that you "can't help relishing the idea of annoying further the likes of some of the very opinionated contributors here" says more about you than about those contributors. I for one decided to stay away from the "Red Light" topic because I'd said what I wanted to say and it wasn't going anywhere anymore. BTW I got my bike out recently - I have decided that bullies won't deprive me of the pleasure of cycling. I will continue to behave exemplary towards other road users and fellow cyclists that cross my path better do the same. That's all, I won't come back to this thread either, but I do agree that Tim's post was the most sensible on here and I did find Guy Street's last response quite reasonable as well.
Wednesday 15 August 2012 1.40pm
EleanorT wrote:
Reading this thread makes me think the whole forum should be shut down! It even makes me want to go and join this running club, not something I would normally consider...But I can't help relishing the idea of annoying further the likes of some of the very opinionated contributors here. Of course if I do join, be warned, I'll be cycling to get there.

Love this Eleanor....soooooo confrontational and after moaning about everyone else....awesome arrogance of the highest order lol
Monday 20 August 2012 9.25am
i did not want to upset anyone, i just dont like being called scum because i enjoy to keep fit and healthy in my spare time,

if anyone was upset then i appologise but the running club is made up of nice people who run marthons for charity etc.. and not scum so perhaps u al choose yours words better in future

peace to you all xx
Monday 20 August 2012 1.09pm
kevin32 wrote:
i did not want to upset anyone, i just dont like being called scum because i enjoy to keep fit and healthy in my spare time,
if anyone was upset then i appologise but the running club is made up of nice people who run marthons for charity etc.. and not scum so perhaps u al choose yours words better in future

peace to you all xx

kevin, as an earlier post pointed out, you were the first (and as far as I can see, the only) person to use the word 'scum' in this thread, in your phrase 'runners are real scumbags right'. Given that open goal, it's not surprising that several people then repeated and agreed with your self-assessment.

Please understand, you are not attracting criticism because you 'enjoy being fit and healthy', but because you posted generally inarticulate and abusive comments, including instructing the people you identified as 'moaners' to ''GET A LIFE'.

'If anyone was upset'? You know that from some of the allegations on here some people were, so maybe show more consideration for other road / pavement users, perhaps? If you really 'don't want to upset anyone' on the forum (difficult, admittedly), then perhaps you should also heed your own advice to 'chose your words better in future'.
Monday 20 August 2012 2.29pm
Guy's street wrote:
familyfriendlyse1 wrote:
This site is an excellent site but at times it really does become a tad puerile and quite often by the same few. I have had bad experience with my children on Bermondsey street who struggle enough to stay safe on the pavement without being bumped off by runners or cyclists coming down the wrong way on a one way street. Then the amount of abuse I have seen from cyclists towards those who are clearly unaware and a little confused about cyclists coming the other way is just staggering. I don't believe anyone is malicously stepping in their path. My children are locals but still struggle to understand the concept of cars coming one way and that's their focus.
However, I have met Tim on several occasions, the first being when he set this club up. He said he had 12 members and hoped to be at about 30. What I can say about Tim is that he is a very genuine, sincere and caring guy. He would be disappointed to know members of his group were causing such disruption and he will stand by his actions above. Which can be all to rare in good ole London town.

While I agree with most of what you say, can I just point out that you are wrong to state "cyclists coming down the wrong way on a one way street" in relation to Bermondsey St. It is only one way for motorised traffic - for cyclists it is as much one way as it is for pedestrians.

I quote and reply - point out that you are wrong
Tuesday 21 August 2012 7.06am
i'm spartacus

no i'm spartacus

no i'm spartacus

couldnt resist sorry:) if that was me i would have pointed out spartacus and saved myself

back to the running, one of the people moaning reffered to us as scum! u should go around westminster at night time (were i work) and then youll see scumbags

anyway i love you all so peace xxx
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions