London SE1 community website

Metal inspection covers on New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Monday 6 August 2012 12.17pm
Can any one remind me if new kent road comes under southwark council? I phoned southwark this morning to report the racket caused by vehicles going over metal covers that the road surface had eroded the edges or vice /versa...spoke to really nice young lad who efficiently took all the details to forward on to the highway dept. but I have a niggly feeling its TFL?

The noise of vehicles going over them sounds like a metal tray clanging all day and night there are 3/4 that are affected. When traffic returns to normal it will be unbearable.

I did report them years ago but can't remember who up to me moniker!
Monday 6 August 2012 12.34pm
From what I can see from this pdf map made by an idiot it does look like it's TFL.
Monday 6 August 2012 2.56pm
Thanks Beetroot, I must be more of an idiot....when ever I tried to enlarge it it just pixilated into little squares....I am a dork! lol I will take your word for it that it belongs to TFL...oh for the good old days when a road came under the local council or relevant service depts.,!
Monday 6 August 2012 3.12pm
No you're not the idiot. It was because of the poor quality of the map (with no street names too) that I called the maker an idiot. Comparing it to a proper map it looks like New Kent Road is marked as tfl.
Monday 6 August 2012 3.40pm
Beetroot, assuming the operative I spoke to this morning is unable to pass it on, I went onto TFL website to find a phone number to report the problem, and either my few remaining braincells are depleting at a faster rate than I thought, I could not see one, if you get a odd moment could I possibly bother you to look and see where I could report it to?

Thank you :-)
Monday 6 August 2012 3.59pm
Well it's a bit of faff but go the map here.
follow the instructions. You basically zoom in and click where it is then click on the balloon that appears and then click 'next' under the bottom left corner on the map. You'll then have a few pages to fill in where you'll be clicking 'none of the above' and 'other' etc.

I've just been looking and I've found a phone number.
0843 222 1234
Under which it says
'You pay no more than 5p per minute if calling from a BT landline. There may be a connection charge. Charges from mobiles or other landline providers may vary.'
Monday 6 August 2012 7.51pm
As a rule of thumb, if it is a Red Route, it is TfL.
I've sent many an email asking Tfl to sort out noisy covers along the Old Kent Road.
Tuesday 7 August 2012 7.54am
It is TfL yes, I've reported the very same twice before over the years, and in fact they have (after a few months) rebuilt the structure that holds the offending cover but as they've positioned it under the track of every bus that trundles down, it gets a lot of wear and it seems to start rocking after six months or so. I should set a calendar reminder for this annually! Thank you for going to the trouble of reporting it again.
Tuesday 7 August 2012 11.55am
I heartily recommend the Fix My Street website as a one-stop-shop for reporting any problems - from rubbish, to street lights to roads.
Tuesday 7 August 2012 12.00pm
That Fix My Street site is a bit hit and miss though. I reported 3 issues around me and none are fixed. Gave up with it.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions