London SE1 community website

Guys Minor Injuries clinic...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 21 September 2012 9.07pm
I agree, when I went before I wasnt even there 5mins and was seen straight away, yet if you go to St Thomas hosp you can wait over 2hrs before seen.
Friday 21 September 2012 9.15pm
I think the new service there is good having a GP on call for weekends and nurses. When I saw the GP there she also took my blood pressure as I have hypertension and had tonsillitis at the time. She didnt give me any medication at the time though as it was viral, but later in week turned bacterial and I had to see own GP for antibiotics then.

Parking is very limited and I dont advise anyone to drive there. My husband did just that a few years ago when his Mum got her finger shut in boot of car and when we came out he got a 60 fine.

Previously it was only open up to 4pm which was bad, as I remember when I broke my toe hobbling to Guys and it was closed and then had to hobble to St Thomas one with a broken toe and could hard walk as it was.

Now its 8 to 8 x 7 days
Sunday 16 December 2012 5.34pm
Would totally recommend new Urgent Care unit at Guys. Basically it's like an out-of-hours GPs. We went at 10am with a 17mo with a bleeding head, were seen within 5 mins, nurse wiped and glued his head. Bingo. Very smooth. Very grateful.
Monday 17 December 2012 9.49am
We went to Urgent Care 7 weeks ago. My daughter was checked by a GP quickly and sent by ambulance to St Thomas A&E with suspected appendicitis. They were quick, efficient and considerate. The place was very quiet on a Saturday. The impression was much better than the one I had when I last visisted Seldoc.

NB They seem to think they are not out of hours GP, but I am not sure I can pick up on the nuances between out of hours, minor injuries, urgent care...

Would definitely recommend.
Monday 17 December 2012 11.24am
froggy wrote:
NB They seem to think they are not out of hours GP

What do you mean? (Just curious)

They describe it as being 'for patients whose condition is urgent enough that they cannot wait for the next GP appointment (usually within 48 hours) but who do not need emergency treatment at A&E.' So I suppose they're not quite an out of hours GP.
Zoe
Monday 17 December 2012 6.49pm
I have been a bit confused about what to go in over and have seen people turned away. I would prefer a combination of out of hours GP and minor injury unit, but I suppose we can't have it all.
Monday 17 December 2012 6.54pm
There are some things listed here.
http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/our-services/emergency-care/urgent-care-centre.aspx
I know there are some things they'll send you to St. Thomas' for. Eyes are a priority.
Tuesday 18 December 2012 11.32pm
But can you just walk in if you have an urgent problem? That's not what happened when I tried in August.

Yet again I phoned my doctors on Old Jamaica road last week to make an appointment and was told I couldn't see anyone for for two weeks. I wasn't dying but I couldn't wait that long either so I paid 70 I can't afford to see a GP privately. (the prescription was lot cheaper than an NHS one but that hardly compensates).

Sick and tired of being sick and tired because I live here.
Wednesday 19 December 2012 11.03am
My understanding is that you can come in if your (reasonably urgent) request cannot be met by your GP. The NHS website refers to not being seen within 48 hours.

I too have problems with my GP surgery not being able to offer any non-urgent appointment at less than 2 weeks' notice. (Ironically, it is the GP surgery which is running the Urgent Care centre!) I went to Urgent Care with my other daughter for an eye complaint and was seen by a GP the same day (which was reassuring).

I said that Urgent Care did seem to think they were not out of hours GP. This is what was said to me at the Reception desk, and I was also asked specifically if I would have gone to A&E or to Seldoc if I had not gone to Urgent Care.
Tuesday 21 May 2013 2.14pm
Urgent Care Centre at Guy's Hopsital: Patient Engagement Event

Dear all
I was really interested to read your views and comments about the Urgent Care Centre at Guy's Hospital(previously the Minor Injuries Unit). We are actually reviewing the Urgent Care Centre at the moment and are holding an engagement event on Wednesday 29th May, 6.00pm - 8.00pmto explore people's views of Urgent Care Services which will inform our decision regarding the future of this service. It would be great to have your input. Booking is essential - if you'd like to attend, please go to http://southwarkccgucc.eventbrite.co.uk/

For further information about the event please go to http://www.southwarkccg.nhs.uk/GETINVOLVED/pages/home.aspx
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions