London SE1 community website

Anyone remember big warehouse on Gt Dover St, opp St George church and Borough station corner Trinity St.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 28 August 2012 9.50pm
I thought all the GPO premises were on the north west side of Swan Street, backing onto the Post Office on Borough High St? We're talking about the other (south east) side of Swan Street.
Tuesday 28 August 2012 10.13pm
I'm talking a long time ago and have never been much cop with points of the compass, so I can't argue. Maybe I've completely misconstrued the spot we're talking about, but I have this vague memory of the G.P.O. building being on the left on Gt. Dover St. when walking towards the Borough High Street and tube.
Wednesday 29 August 2012 6.51am
Your right about the Mathew Hall bldg. is Lang Rabbie, it is a forgettable anonymous object, probably get listed in 50 years time!
Wednesday 29 August 2012 9.36am
Infuriatingly, the new Britain from Above aerial photos site only has a set of photos taken in 1922, a few years before the Dispensary moved.

Not much use to the original poster's query, but other people may be interested in the wider pre-war layout of the area around Great Dover Street.
Thursday 19 September 2013 3.43am
Late response as I've been away. We came to live in the Borough (and BTW when did it lose the "the") in 1964 and there was a huge empty warehouse type building. If you walk down Great Dover Street with the Dover Castle on your right, cross Swan street and stand at the No. 21 bus stop and do a 90 degree turn to your right exactly where that dark red office building is (was Matthew Hall at one time and is now going to be converted to Modren (sic!) flats)is where the warehouse was.
The Surrey Dispensary (opposite the Roebuck in Trinity Street/Falmouth Road) was where Sam Wanamaker lived while he was trying to persuade the Council to allow the Globe Theatre to be built.
Conoco House opposite the Dover Castle on the other side of Great Dover Street was built in the 1960s (can't remember when or what was originally there but I thought its placement odd - the area was a triangle and it was built along one side with a large paved unused area in front (now used to divide traffic in and out of Long Lane) with just a fenced-off tiny sloping area for the odd tree in front.
The Sorting office was along the right hand side of Swan Street just past the Dover Castle (and you could sometimes hand in late mail to an obliging postie). The little lane leading to the Borough High Street used to have its high wall a glorious mass of Virginia creeper - the builders of the flats ripped it all out. And the old Metal Box Factory on the corner of Cole Street and Globe Street became flats and the little terrace opposite became large flats and also lost a stunning climbing rose.
Just realised the time - spent ages trying to choose the right Googling to find out what was before Conoco with no luck.
Thursday 19 September 2013 9.08am
Sheila,
You are right, it is , or should be, "The Borough" as we always knew it.
If we said "I am going to Borough" we would have been asked "Which borough?" Whereas "I am going to The Borough" would have brought immediate recognition of the precise area we would be visiting.
Let you and me start the fightback to use the common vernacular for the area we love and live in because the incomers are taking over everything else. Who knows it might enable us to identify ourselves as the true natives and a rapidly vanishing ethnic minority.
Thursday 19 September 2013 9.13am
How exactly did it come to be 'The' Borough, given as it's only one of 32, was it the first?
Thursday 19 September 2013 9.59am
Tolstoy wrote:
How exactly did it come to be 'The' Borough, given as it's only one of 32, was it the first?

Yes - Southwark became a parliamentary borough (with two MPs) in 1295 when most of what were to become the other London boroughs were scruffy little villages. And long before that it was an Anglo-Saxon 'burh' (same word), fortified against the Vikings.

I've only lived here, on the edge of 'The Borough' (I'm actually in the medieval parish of Newington, which wasn't strictly speaking part of Southwark), for twenty years, but I join the real locals in being meticulous about referring to 'THE Borough'. On the other hand, I think of 'Borough tube station' and 'Borough High Street', not 'The...'. 'The Borough Station' doesn't sound right (like 'Angel Station' versus 'The Angel').
Thursday 19 September 2013 8.34pm
John C,
Perhaps you use Borough High Street etc. without the definite article "the", as I do,because that is the way they are written on their signage and is for the wider public. I do, however, always refer to "The Borough Market" and not Borough Market although I refer to Covent Garden Market just as that without the "the". Perhaps these are peculiarities from my childhood way of speaking a long long time ago
Monday 9 November 2015 8.32am
Hi all,

I lived on Lawson Estate, Great Dover St for around 16years and Lucy is quite right about Dolcis it was sited on the corner of Swan St opposite the P.O. Sorting Office, and ran backwards in the direction of the Roebuck Pub, so she is quite right and also Borough Tube Station is not a million miles away from Trinity Road, well done Lucy.

Regards to all,
Alan
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions