London SE1 community website

Moving to Great Dover Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 28 August 2012 10.27pm
Ah, ok -- you should be able to take a nice cycle ride from your hall, through Trinity Square, and down onto Webber ST. Very local and calm traffic -- only tough part is navigating Waterloo Bridge, which is not that bad, just crowded. I estimate about a 10-15 minute ride depending how fast you go -- probably closer to 10 on a light bike as a young guy.
Wednesday 29 August 2012 8.53am
I think my route would be:

Great Dover St
Marshalsea Road
Southwark Bridge Road
Union Street
The Cut
Waterloo Road
Waterloo Bridge

Or fron The Cut going through the smaller streets. I think I do Hatfields, Roupell and Exton.
jpm
Wednesday 29 August 2012 3.46pm
James -

Congratulations on having come up trumps in the lottery of student accomodation. There really isn't much of a better place you could end up.

You've already found the best place to get information about the area - the SE1 website and its forums.

We all have our own views on what's great round here. I live just over the road from the Kings halls and think it's fantastic round here.

Yes, the Roebuck is great. I think the Long Lane chippy does the best chips round here and Orville's O-Tower restaurant on Tower Bridge Road does the most fantastic (and reasonably priced) West Indian food.

If Mum & Dad/well-off relatives and friends are paying, then you've got the many delights of Bermondsey Street.

Going further there's the whole South Bank to enjoy.

On the bike front, there's a lot to be said for the Boris Bikes (with a docking station right outside you halls).

On the bike route - it is quieter(and safer) to go up Trinity Street - Gt Suffolk St - Webber Street, get on to Waterloo Road by turning left at Gray Street (by the Stage Door pub, it's easier through the lights) and then up on to Waterloo Bridge and the Strand. I cycle that way regularly and it's fine.

most of all, well done and enjoy!

JP
Wednesday 5 September 2012 5.23pm
You will want to check out Bermondsey Street, which has a couple of great pubs, The Garrison and The Woolpack, and a fantastic free art gallery called The White Cube.

Borough market will be a great source of street food and has a great pub called The Rake.

Check out "The Kernel" brewery as well. They open every Saturday from 10:00 to 3:00 and produce 22 of the top 50 craft beers in the UK. http://thekernelbrewery.com/
Thursday 6 September 2012 11.34pm
I lived in those halls last year. Most students went to the Dover Castle down the road cause its very student friendly. Be careful when walking out on your own, not to worry you but there were quite a few muggings of students so don't walk at night from campus via the back streets! But have fun! Its a great location :)
Friday 7 September 2012 9.49am
Hi,

not intending to scare you but there would be a couple places I would avoid late at night particularly if you are on your own....
1. being Elephant and Castle, especially the underground walkways.
2. Old Kent Road (not strictly SE1 but may be a road you wander down at some point as its round the corner)
3. The Rockingham Estate.

(these area's are completely fine in the day time)

and as someone previously stated any backstreets that look a bit secluded (common sense really)

having said that, I have walked these areas in the early hours of the morning stumbling home from some club or party, but luckily enough nothing has happened.

BUT what I would say is that if you look out of place in the above mentioned area's, you may look vulnerable to any dodgy character out there, people have a nack for spotting a newcomer to the area.

as far as nightlife is concerned well you are practically in central London.

there are so many places to choose from, maybe if we had an idea of what floats your boat music, entertainment, interests, Hobbies etc we could give you a few pointers!
Friday 7 September 2012 4.00pm
welcome to the area, agree regarding the Roebuck but be careful at the Dover Castle. Ruse on Borough High Street is very good for sport and has a karaoke night on Friday that a lot of South Bank Uni and London School of Music Theatre go to.
Saturday 8 September 2012 10.03am
Thanks for all the advice guys - the cycle routes look simple enough and the safety advice from sam louise is much appreciated.

Tony, what do you feel the issue with Dover Castle is? I've just checked out Ruse online and it looks just my kind of place. Cheaper than my local in Yorkshire as well!

Thank you all again for the tips and local knowledge - who said Londoners were unfriendly!

Cheers, James
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions