London SE1 community website

Misuse of parking bays -Leathermarket St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 3 September 2012 10.11am
I wonder where these people take their cars if they have a fault. This business has been trading for decades on this site and the family has been working in the locality for over 60 years as far as I know. Maybe longer. Are all small businesses to be restrained and closed by council edicts. This type of business needs the parking spaces in order to be able to trade.
Monday 3 September 2012 11.31am
maybe we should force the v established local business to close, turn the garage into new 'luxury' flats and then people can use the 3 parking spaces....hmmmm
GC
Monday 3 September 2012 11.39am
Can't believe I'm reading these comments. I've been around longer than them and also running a small business. The council don't help me by giving me parking bays. As the area has changed, so have the requirements and I'm very aware that it's become more residential. We had to close one of our businesses down and move away from the area as deliveries became very difficult to handle. I don't pay for my parking permit to allow 5 vehicles to be parked for months without anything being done to them!
Monday 3 September 2012 1.12pm
I think what most people take issue with here is Southwark Council’s ambivalence on this issue. Any local resident will know that if you leave your car parked on a single yellow line a few minutes past 8am on a Saturday morning, you risk a parking ticket or having your car towed away to the pound. Yet, RW Autos seem able to flout parking restrictions with apparent impunity. I often return home from work of an evening and while driving round for hours looking for a space to park, it is not uncommon to see a car up on jacks or with the engine open in the disabled space opposite RW Autos. If they are not working on a car and its parked somewhere it shouldn’t be, they just leave a some headed notepaper tucked under the wiper – That seems to keep the wardens at bay.
I don’t think anyone is against the garage being there per se – In fact it is quite quirky among the lavish restaurants and luxury apartments – a throwback to the days when Bermondsey Street was positively unsafe, full of crack dens and no an area where people wanted to be. However, the garage seems to operate beyond its footprint and to the detriment of other local businesses.
I remember the barrage of complaints when the PR agency next door painted their window frames ‘a horrible violent purple pink colour’. I think the bank of decaying luminous green and yellow ambulances have been parked outside the PR agency for far longer than it was that ghastly shade and have been parked there at least as long as the new paint job.
It’s a hard time for all businesses out there, but if one of the cafes in Bermondsey Street decided to put a table and a couple of chairs out the front and sure the Council would be on to them immediately – I see this as a much lesser crime than rebuilding an engine in a disabled bay.
Monday 3 September 2012 2.26pm
This brings up the wider issue of the subcontractors who handle parking for Southwark. They are appallingly poor. I too have tried writing and emailing the LibDem councillors I voted for but get no reply.
Monday 3 September 2012 3.10pm
andrewll the subcontractors for SC are not at fault here at all...they have nothing to do with the bays as they are not designated for restricted parking..it is SC themselves who need to be approached on this

1. why did they deregulate the bays
2. did they benefit in any way from this
3. did the garage offer any inducement to have the bays deregulated
4. did the council consult on this measure as all the parking in the immediate vicinity is regulated
Monday 3 September 2012 3.19pm
OK I take your word for it! Doesn't change my mind on Apcoa however.
Monday 3 September 2012 4.04pm
This evening after the best part of a year, the wall of ambulances has gone! Just one parked there now. Thank you for listening Dobbo - Perhaps we should have asked directly in the first place
GC
Monday 3 September 2012 4.36pm
I haven't been out to check myself, but this is excellent news if true [and it remains like this long term] I was reminded today that we had to pay £3000 [Yes-3 thousand pounds] to have 1 bay temporarily suspended for 4 months when we had building works carried out 4 years ago! This was so we could have scaffolding erected.So far as I'm aware the bays haven't been reregulated. They've simply had the tops 'removed' from the parking meters. Anyway it seems like something good is happening at last!
Tuesday 4 September 2012 7.56am
Up to their old trick again this morning - 3 cars spaced across 4 bays
http://s8.postimage.org/ezh6spn39/008.jpg
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions