London SE1 community website

School child knocked by cyclist this morning

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 10 September 2012 6.37pm
Pops wrote:
You could question why the bus driver and passengers didn't demand the police being called? Also the cyclist herself, she could have asked for the police or ambulance to be called?
I'm all for helping people but if someone says they are ok, I am not going to persist them and get myself into a situation when it's not needed. Wish I had never of showed concerned in the community now.

I think you are absolutely right and I hope Le Roi's comment doesn't really put you off from showing concern in the community. I agree that the cyclist should have taken responsibility. You were the least involved and did more than those who were. Shame on them.
Tuesday 11 September 2012 8.48am
Pops

the little girl in question is one of the kids in my sisters class-i spoke to her last night and she said she was fine-she did go to the office and apart from a cut knee which required a plaster she was ok.

Thanks for looking out for her
Tuesday 11 September 2012 8.57am
They could bring in rules like 'don't cycle on the pavement' and 'don't run a red light on a bike or in a car or a bus' and 'don't park your cabs on double reds' and 'don't kill people with your truck' and they could employ people to enforce the rules.
Nah never gonna happen. Do what you want everyone!
Tuesday 11 September 2012 9.08am
dee dee wrote:
Pops
the little girl in question is one of the kids in my sisters class-i spoke to her last night and she said she was fine-she did go to the office and apart from a cut knee which required a plaster she was ok.

Thanks for looking out for her

Thank you for letting me know. I did look out for her this morning but didnt see her.
Tuesday 11 September 2012 10.41am
This sounds like a really unfortunate incident and does nothing to help us advocaters of the wonders of cycling, for sure... It's a busy area and at a time when so many people are hurtling on and off buses there's no way a cyclist should do this. If it's at the bus stop I imagine it to be, at the end of the New Kent Road, then this sort of thing is bound to happen once in a while, as you're probably aware, there is a cycle path that runs runs along the pavement and is likely to be one of those ones that comes to an abrupt end in the middle of the pavement just before the bus stop...(it's been a little while since I went that way so I can't be entirely sure) No, I'm REALLY not seeking to defend this cyclist by any means, but am remarking that by running cycle paths along pavements, which on this road is, I would think, a good option in view of the danger of the traffic and the broadness of the pavement, so much greater care should be taken in their design so that cyclists who use them are not then left stranded, a hazard to pedestrians, without any clear indicators of how to rejoin the general flow of traffic. There are so many examples of this in London where the cycle path layout is mediocre at best and leads to problems such as this.
Tuesday 11 September 2012 11.01am
It was the Bricklayers Arms bus stop heading towards the Elephant at the junction with the roundabout. The cyclist actually cycled inside of the bus shelter area as people were trying to get on buses. If she had cycled at the back of the shelter the incident would never of happened.
Tuesday 11 September 2012 11.35am
The statistic for fatalities on the footpath is miniscule both for pedestrians and for cyclists. When you move past the kerb onto the road, whether as a pedestrian simply crossing to the other side or walking/cycling along the roadside, the statistics are significant enough to call carnage. In particular the mid teen cyclist age group are in extreme danger of death. I remember how shocked we all were in our year when we lost a great school chum to a clumsy motorist. The death of a child breaks many hearts big and small and Ill bet there is hardly a school the length of the land which doesn’t have a similar tale.

What I had better not ever see is someone intimidating a cyclist into going onto the road. This may be a youth or challenged person who is not confident on a bicycle. Perhaps their guardian has instructed them not to go onto the road. If your adult instruction causes them to be killed on the road then no amount of ‘justification’ will restore their life. Period.

I suggest the people who think cyclists ‘need shooting’ should look at the statistics and realise that cyclists are being killed all the time – shooting wouldn’t kill them any deader than being struck by a lorry. Cyclists are not the danger – the numbers do not support it.

Incidentally the statistic for pedestrians killed on the footpath is not due to cyclists. Surprised?

As I am most days a motorcyclist I get an excellent view of the antics of pedestrians on the road. Stupid and dangerous their jaywalking and ‘red man crossing’ may be - this does not cause me to stir up or incite resentment. I manage to mind my driving and accommodate others. I’m just amazed by people who live in cities but don’t like people. Cyclists and pedestrians are actually people, not everybody seems to be aware of that.

Thanks Edward for using my post to remind people that young lives are at stake and the price of intolerance can be measured in broken hearts. Thanks for noticing that the ‘cyclist bashing’ goes on regardless of the lack of logic or statistical support behind it. They simply will not listen. To me the definition of prejudice is an unfounded hatred of something that one does not understand. Without logic or statistical support means without understanding. I call it the ‘cry of the ignorant’!

BTW the last time I saw someone cycling on the footpath it was a pair of PSCO’s. They were cycling slowly and responsibly but I don’t think the uniform makes them better or worse than any competent cyclist. I felt like welcoming them around where I live – not shooting them.

So please beware of ‘educating’ people until you have absorbed the meaning of the following:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/statistics/releases/road-accidents-and-safety-quarterly-estimates-q1-2012/

PS With regard to OP and the cyclist who struck a pedestrian (young girl in this instance) on the footpath, the police should have been involved. Cycle/Pedestrian collisions are rare but should always be reported.
Tuesday 11 September 2012 11.45am
Le Roi wrote:
What I had better not ever see is someone intimidating a cyclist into going onto the road.

This may be a youth or challenged person who is not confident on a bicycle.

(1) "intimidating" someone to obey the law and rules of the road - what is the world coming to?

(2) Perhaps they should build up "confidence" before inflicting their incompetence on other innocent road/pavement users?
Tuesday 11 September 2012 11.58am
Le Roi wrote:
The statistic for fatalities on the footpath is miniscule both for pedestrians and for cyclists. When you move past the kerb onto the road, whether as a pedestrian simply crossing to the other side or walking/cycling along the roadside, the statistics are significant enough to call carnage. In particular the mid teen cyclist age group are in extreme danger of death. I remember how shocked we all were in our year when we lost a great school chum to a clumsy motorist. The death of a child breaks many hearts big and small and Ill bet there is hardly a school the length of the land which doesn’t have a similar tale.
What I had better not ever see is someone intimidating a cyclist into going onto the road. This may be a youth or challenged person who is not confident on a bicycle. Perhaps their guardian has instructed them not to go onto the road. If your adult instruction causes them to be killed on the road then no amount of ‘justification’ will restore their life. Period.

I suggest the people who think cyclists ‘need shooting’ should look at the statistics and realise that cyclists are being killed all the time – shooting wouldn’t kill them any deader than being struck by a lorry. Cyclists are not the danger – the numbers do not support it.

Incidentally the statistic for pedestrians killed on the footpath is not due to cyclists. Surprised?

As I am most days a motorcyclist I get an excellent view of the antics of pedestrians on the road. Stupid and dangerous their jaywalking and ‘red man crossing’ may be - this does not cause me to stir up or incite resentment. I manage to mind my driving and accommodate others. I’m just amazed by people who live in cities but don’t like people. Cyclists and pedestrians are actually people, not everybody seems to be aware of that.

Thanks Edward for using my post to remind people that young lives are at stake and the price of intolerance can be measured in broken hearts. Thanks for noticing that the ‘cyclist bashing’ goes on regardless of the lack of logic or statistical support behind it. They simply will not listen. To me the definition of prejudice is an unfounded hatred of something that one does not understand. Without logic or statistical support means without understanding. I call it the ‘cry of the ignorant’!

BTW the last time I saw someone cycling on the footpath it was a pair of PSCO’s. They were cycling slowly and responsibly but I don’t think the uniform makes them better or worse than any competent cyclist. I felt like welcoming them around where I live – not shooting them.

So please beware of ‘educating’ people until you have absorbed the meaning of the following:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/statistics/releases/road-accidents-and-safety-quarterly-estimates-q1-2012/

PS With regard to OP and the cyclist who struck a pedestrian (young girl in this instance) on the footpath, the police should have been involved. Cycle/Pedestrian collisions are rare but should always be reported.

You've either completely misunderstood my post or are deliberately misusing it for your own purposes. Judging by the malicious tone of your own posts, I suspect it's the latter. It's not the "cylcist bashing" that goes on, it's the selfish, irresponsible and in my opinion sometimes criminal behaviour by quite a few, if not all but still too many cyclists, on the streets and pavements of SE1. I put it to you that if Cycle/Pedestrian collisions are rare, then that is down to some cyclists successfully bullying pedestrians into staying out of their way and forfeiting their rights as pedestrians. Your banging on about statistics and victimisation of cyclists is out of order and to me personally, offensive. You are very much part of the problem. As far as pedestrians walking int the road are concerned: they may be distracted, day dreaming or simply not very bright, however their behaviour is not deliberate, whereas a cyclist jumping a red light, cycling on the pavement or driving the wrong way up a one way street makes a deliberate decision to do so and therefore has no excuse.
Tuesday 11 September 2012 12.36pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
As far as pedestrians walking int the road are concerned: they may be distracted, day dreaming or simply not very bright, however their behaviour is not deliberate, whereas a cyclist jumping a red light, cycling on the pavement or driving the wrong way up a one way street makes a deliberate decision to do so and therefore has no excuse.

I don't get this bit. Why is a person walking in to the road down to distraction, day dreaming or intelligence, whereas a person cycling somewhere they shouldn't any more of a deliberate action?

Surely it is a bit of both - a person could cycle down a one way street because they aren't paying attention, just as many people drive down them for presumably the same reason. Likewise it is possible to cycle through a red light simply because you're not paying attention if there's not a queue of traffic or people crossing the road to draw your attention to it.

Doesn't make it any less of an offence of course, but I just don't get the differentiation here.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions