London SE1 community website


Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 15 September 2012 5.02pm
Hi I hurt my knee a couple of weeks ago and I'd like to see a physio, do you know if: 1- can i get it on the NHS and if so how? Do i need to be referred by a GP?
2- is there anyone in particular you would recommend for sport injuries.

thanks x
Saturday 15 September 2012 5.34pm
Your GP will refer you, but you might want to go to the minor injury unit at Guys first and get it checked out, in case you have hurt yourself worse than you think. They can also refer you for physio, at either Guys or St Thomas.

There are lots of private places, including Guys hospital itself, just do a google search.
Saturday 15 September 2012 5.38pm
Hi Alice - a few years back I hurt my knee from too much running.

There is an independent physio in my gym (Fitness First, Tooley Street) called DJ Naylor - they helped me and I can recommend them.

I don't work for them.

Details and location here.
Monday 17 September 2012 3.33pm
Thanks for your replies. I went to Guy's hospital when i first hurt myself but they just said don't force it... it still kinda hurting though... anyway, thanks, i'll see what i can do.
Monday 17 September 2012 6.02pm
Don't force it? What sort of advice is that. When I hurt my knee my GP asked me what I wanted him to do about it. I ended up having an operation, so don't no for answer!
Tuesday 18 September 2012 11.44am
Roodlane Medical at Magdalen House on Tooley Street. Absolutely brilliant!

Had a serious injury 4 months ago and they helped fix me. Cannot praise them enough.
Friday 21 September 2012 11.09am
South Bank University have a specialist sports injuries department which the public can use. Don't know what/if they charge. My guess is that students undertaking the sports injuries/physio courses in the subject practice under supervision. This could be nonsense but I would have thought that it is worth contacting them to find out more.
Friday 21 September 2012 11.51am
Thanks again for all your replies. I have an app with the gp to get seen somewhere... At uni rate i'll prob need a referral in any case, so finers crossed!! x
Monday 24 September 2012 7.10pm
I had an issue with my knee, patellar tendonitis, got a referral from GP and tried out the physio over in shad thames, forgot their name sorry, but basically they weren't much help & expensive.

In the end I went along to the British School of Osteopathy on Southwark Bridge Road, you get assessed by a final year student with a tutor popping in and out checking on prognosis/prgress and as it's a school it's discounted, I think it was 20 per session.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions