London SE1 community website

Human faeces

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 1 October 2012 7.49pm

Wow, theyre making sculptures out of it now and putting it in the tate britain! smgdh
Tuesday 2 October 2012 1.28am
420 inch boner wrote:
Nice pics Jessica.

Why thank you.

And I quite agree, Mr Woodward, that the whole thing is completely disgusting. Disgusting disgusting disgusting.

And Colinio, I think you may be right. Adele Morris dropped me a private message to say she was forwarding my post to the head of waste (or whatever it is), and after a month of watching it sit there (and smelling it sit there), perhaps that is what did the trick. Hurrah! And thank you to Adele.
Tuesday 2 October 2012 2.31pm
Jessica Kennedy -

A friend regularly complains about the dog poop we and our kids are constantly dodging on our streets (good on her!) and has secured the email of the person responsible for street cleaning at Southwark Council. DM me I'll give it to you.

I love this neighbourhood, but I do wish some people around here would take pride and care in their environment. Too much crap (human, dog or otherwise) and litter is on the streets. It's disgusting. My 3 year old daughter and I have now taken to wearing plastic gloves so we can throw away the multitudes of crisp and sweet packets littering our streets on the way home from her nursery.

The same friend above also stopped a speeding care going down her residential street yesterday (while holding her 1yo kid on her hip) and got into an argument with the driver. He shouted at her we should go live in Chelsea or Fulham if we wanted to be somewhere where people cared. I didn't realise you had to live in a 'posh' area to care about where your live.

Anyway, let me know if you, or any others, want that email address. Maybe if we all badger her, change will happen!
Tuesday 2 October 2012 2.57pm
I wonder why a human would poop on the street. Homeless person? I saw this man squatting on Redcross Way one morning and my mind just wouldn't acknowledge what he was doing. I think he was just desperate and couldn't hold it in anymore, but it is shocking to see something like that. This is a few years ago but I still can't get that image out of my head. What do you do? Call the police?
Tuesday 2 October 2012 3.41pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
This is a few years ago but I still can't get that image out of my head.

Neither can I, that happened metre or two from my street door! I have also seen the same in O'Meara Street but not recently though. If Southwark Council had kept more public toilets perhaps this would not happen.
Tuesday 2 October 2012 5.39pm
This is horrible, Jess, and I'm aware of the misery that the indigent cause on your street.

According to the council web-site, the only public conveniences in Borough and Bankside are:
Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park, Attached to kiosk SE1, Every day, 10am to 6pm
Library Street NHO, Library Street, SE1 ORG, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
•John Harvard Local Studies Library, 211 Borough High Street SE1 1JA, Monday and Thursday 10am to 8pm, Wednesday closed, Tuesday and Friday 10am to 5pm, Saturday 10am to 1pm

(http://www.southwark.gov.uk/a_to_z/service/405/public_toilets)

Tough luck if your bowels work 24 hours a day.
Zoe
Tuesday 2 October 2012 7.13pm
The library street office is gone, so there's no toilet there.

We need more of those self standing ones. When I am in Paris I've noticed that street drinkers etc use them (and in fact showed me what to do as I was somewhat confused). If it works there it can work for us.
Tuesday 2 October 2012 8.44pm
I'm new to the Southwark area and I couldn't believe it when I saw this post originally - but I know what you mean!

Has everyone seen this muck on the streets?
Tuesday 2 October 2012 8.58pm
Yes, we're not really painting the most pleasant picture of SE1, are we?
Tuesday 2 October 2012 10.05pm
Although I've complained many times to my local Council about dog faeces littering the streets, thankfully we don't have a problem with the human variety here in my corner of Essex.
To my mind though, a human who lets his/her dog foul the streets is no better than the human who himself defecates on the street. The dog is only doing what comes naturally and is not responsible for its actions. It is the responsibility of the owner to clear up after it.
The reason I get very hot under the collar about dog faeces is that some years ago a friend of mine had a two year-old daughter who became permanently blind due to Toxicara Canis as a result of coming in to contact with the airborne germ released from dog faeces.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions