London SE1 community website

The 'Troc.'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 16 October 2012 2.49pm
Didn't think it worth starting a new thread for this question, because I'm not expecting much, if any, response.
From a certain weekend way back in the early 1950's I have a vague recollection of a Scout jamboree being held on what was then an area of waste ground, (presumably a cleared bomb site,) on the corner opposite the Trocadero cinema. It was a pretty big affair, that much I do remember, with hundreds of boy scouts involved. Can anyone else throw any light on this?
Tuesday 16 October 2012 3.53pm
The only bombsite I can remember clearly Chalkey is the one on the corner of meadow row where Albert Barnes house stands today. If you were outside the Troc.to the left under the railway bridge was a large bombsite, they frequently held fairs there which was wonderful if you were a working class kid with 2 shillings to spend which you had earnt selling tarry logs!

No boy scouts worse luck! and no need for Police either as there was no muggings/thefts etc....
Tuesday 16 October 2012 4.41pm
Hi, Jan.
Yes, I well remember the fairs held on that piece of ground, the other side of the railway arch along from the Troc. But the area I'm referring to was, I suppose you could say, diagonally across from there. To put it another way, if you cam out of the ABC cinema and turned left, it would have been about a hundred or so yards further on. I remember a pub being on the site in the late 1960's. Can't remember what it was called and no idea if it's still there. It wasn't the 'Charlie Chaplin,' it was further along than that.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions