London SE1 community website

Pedestrian road safety in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Tuesday 9 October 2012 10.49am
Davies wrote:
I don't know why this 5 year old child was killed by a car but 5 is too young to be on the street unsupervised, don't shoot me for asking but where were the responsible adults?

Hi Davies

This article explains that he was supervised.

"Hichame Bouadimi was holding his motherís hand when he broke free and dashed onto a busy one-way street last week near a pedestrian crossing in Southwark."

Very sad.
Tuesday 9 October 2012 12.41pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Davies wrote:
I don't know why this 5 year old child was killed by a car but 5 is too young to be on the street unsupervised, don't shoot me for asking but where were the responsible adults?

Hi Davies

This article explains that he was supervised.

"Hichame Bouadimi was holding his motherís hand when he broke free and dashed onto a busy one-way street last week near a pedestrian crossing in Southwark."

Very sad.
It's also not unimportant to note that the lorry driver was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving. This doesn't mean they're guilty of course and I am not sure if this is standard procedure, but they must have had their reasons to arrest him.
Tuesday 9 October 2012 12.58pm
i gather it is standard proceedure whilst they investigate the accident. they will check his speed and the condition of his lorry etc as well
Subject to any investigation it sounds like the driver was just as much a vitim of circumstance as the poor little boy
Tuesday 9 October 2012 7.34pm
this awful tragedy needs to be seen as just that and it is rather distressing to see how many people jump on the bandwagon and turn it into a "cause"
Tuesday 9 October 2012 7.51pm
boroughpaul wrote:
this awful tragedy needs to be seen as just that and it is rather distressing to see how many people jump on the bandwagon and turn it into a "cause"
Even if that cause is making sure that this kind of tragedy doesn't happen again?
Tuesday 9 October 2012 7.54pm
a little time might not do any harm
Tuesday 9 October 2012 9.25pm
boroughpaul wrote:
a little time might not do any harm
I don't know - each day I try and teach my children a little more independence: arrange to meet somewhere rather and let them travel there by themselves instead of picking them up, let them go to training by themselves etc. I trust them, they know the rules, it's others I don't trust. I spend time now pointing out people that speed, don't indicate, are on their mobiles whilst driving, jump red lights or cross the road where they shouldn't etc. etc. You can't spend your time thinking "What if?" but it becomes more and more difficult I find. Everybody seems so angry, impatient and in such a terrible rush to get somewhere... Chi va piano va sano.
Tuesday 9 October 2012 9.35pm
As has been said before, the boy was supervised and the accident is a tragedy. My heart goes out to his family, especially his mother and sister who witnessed the accident.

That said, if one wanted to make it a cause one might start with the parents (just to re-iterate, not this particular mum, who was there and was at a pedestrian crossing). I am walking my daughter to Charles Dickens School and every morning without fail there are lots of families crossing Borough Road at the corner of Newington Causeway before the lights turn green. Just about every single one of those parents says to their child "Oh, it is about to turn green anyway" whilst dodging lorries and buses on a pedestrian crossing with a red light.

For those of you with children aged 3 or 4, they can become a member of the Children's Traffic Club, it is free, run by TfL and the child will be sent 7 books with road safety advice, stickers, colouring in books etc:

Children's Traffic Club
Tuesday 9 October 2012 9.45pm
Katia wrote:
As has been said before, the boy was supervised and the accident is a tragedy. My heart goes out to his family, especially his mother and sister who witnessed the accident.
That said, if one wanted to make it a cause one might start with the parents (just to re-iterate, not this particular mum, who was there and was at a pedestrian crossing). I am walking my daughter to Charles Dickens School and every morning without fail there are lots of families crossing Borough Road at the corner of Newington Causeway before the lights turn green. Just about every single one of those parents says to their child "Oh, it is about to turn green anyway" whilst dodging lorries and buses on a pedestrian crossing with a red light.

For those of you with children aged 3 or 4, they can become a member of the Children's Traffic Club, it is free, run by TfL and the child will be sent 7 books with road safety advice, stickers, colouring in books etc:

Children's Traffic Club

That is great. Do Charles Dickens know about this?
Tuesday 9 October 2012 10.27pm
Hadn't thought of telling them about it, but I probably should.. (You do mean the traffic club- or should I mention the red light jumping parents?)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions