London SE1 community website

Pedestrian road safety in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Tuesday 9 October 2012 10.39pm
Katia wrote:
Hadn't thought of telling them about it, but I probably should.. (You do mean the traffic club- or should I mention the red light jumping parents?)
The traffic club.
Tuesday 9 October 2012 10.48pm
@Ivanhoe

Yes, a slower speed limit will slow traffic, but, give or take a couple seconds, traffic will still reach final destinations in the same amount of time.

Think of this as -- to borrow Boris' words -- 'smoothing the flow' by ensuring that drivers have a more consistent journey with fewer stops. All slightly-higher speeds (e.g. 30/mph) do is give drivers/buses longer time at the red lights.

BUT, the difference between a pedestrian hit at 20mph vs. 30mph is HUGE in terms of injury -- it's literally life vs. death.

SO, let's drop things to 20/mph, give everyone a more pleasant, smoother journey, and make streets safer for the most vulnerable users: young and elderly pedestrians, as well as cyclists.

Here's a great video on the concept: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJr7dU_4zI
Tuesday 9 October 2012 11.20pm
Speed limits are not necessarily the problem. People ignoring them definitely are.
Wednesday 10 October 2012 4.01am
Good point -- more speed cameras in SE1 would help with the situation. I also think that as the volume of pedestrians increases in the area from the new apartment blocks and retail spaces being constructed, we'll see traffic calmed to some degree.
Wednesday 10 October 2012 7.55am
Don't mean to be a party-pooper, but I think the combination of lower speed limits, more speed cameras and more pedestrians is only likely to exacerbate the frustration and belligerence I already witness every morning. My solution would be a higher police presence supported by Community Support Officers cracking down on offenders with heavy fines. That, or send everyone to yoga lessons.
Wednesday 10 October 2012 9.02am
Add a lollipop lady at school run time in front of primary schools, too. Are lollipop ladies volunteers or council payed?
Wednesday 10 October 2012 10.18am
Katia wrote:
Add a lollipop lady at school run time in front of primary schools, too. Are lollipop ladies volunteers or council payed?
I am pretty sure they are council, but that's another good idea :-)A lollipop lady has been operating on Upper Thames Steet near the City of London School for at least the last decade, although I have noticed that she too struggles more with the way traffic's changed over the last years. Maybe we need a Lollipop burly bloke rather than a lady... When I was at primary school, I remember that children from the oldest classes were lollipop "ladies" as well. I think I did it once, for a week.
Wednesday 10 October 2012 10.57am
Katia wrote:

Employed by the MET Police
Wednesday 10 October 2012 11.48am
james127 wrote:
Good point -- more speed cameras in SE1 would help with the situation. I also think that as the volume of pedestrians increases in the area from the new apartment blocks and retail spaces being constructed, we'll see traffic calmed to some degree.

For some people, the only answer will be: "more cameras".

More cameras and lower speed limits will only equal more tickets given out, more driver frustration (there are clearly roads and times when 20mph makes no sense and is far too low. Just as there are times when 20mph is far too fast.), no change in pedestrian behaviour, and little change in accidents.

The flow of traffic (including pedestrian traffic) is a complex thing. It's unlikely to be dealt with by cameras and enforcement of arbitrary rules.

Yes, we should give priority to pedestrians. And yes, we should strictly enforce road laws (with people, not cameras. I'd love to see half a dozen traffic officers popping up at busy junctions at random times to enforce speeding and red-light-jumping. The only place I see this with any regularity is just by Buckingham Palace). I'd also require a higher level of driving skill in order to get a driving license. But none of this will do any good if we don't teach pedestrians not to try and cross roads in dangerous ways and places.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 10 October 2012 12.19pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
But none of this will do any good if we don't teach pedestrians not to try and cross roads in dangerous ways and places.
Children are the best place to start. You can't teach an old dog new tricks they say, but my children telling me off for being unecessarily rude, leaving my telephone charger on over night etc. keep me more on my toes than an adult would...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions