London SE1 community website

Pedestrian road safety in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 4 of 8
Wednesday 10 October 2012 12.34pm
Excellent place to start. But they're so impressionable...and a lot of adults these days don't set good examples.

(Thanks for whoever put the link up to the TfL traffic club. I've just joined our young one up for it.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 10 October 2012 1.06pm
to be honest it is surprising there has not been an accident in st georges road before not because of speed but because of the St Judes parents who get off the bus by the park then drag their kids across the road dodging the traffic rather than walk to the traffic lights
Wednesday 10 October 2012 1.08pm
The child will decorate your house with lovely balloon shaped stickers reminding you to look listen look and to hold hand. But thew traffic club is very good.

Teach the young ones to yell "red walker- dead walker" next time?
Wednesday 10 October 2012 1.45pm
Sounds great, Katia. Looking forward to it. Thanks. (Things I've learned recently: you can never be too young, too rich, or have too many stickers.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 10 October 2012 6.28pm
There have been times when I’ve “jay-walked” across St George’s Rd with my children and have risked life and limb in doing so. Sometimes we’re just late, having left enough time etc. I've never quite understood why there isn't a pedestrian crossing between Garden Row and Lambeth Road so that school-aged children can cross more conveniently from the bus stops to the 2 schools on the other side of the road. As far as I can see, the crossings exist to accommodate traffic, ie cars turning left into St George’s Rd from Garden Row, the fact that this crossing helps the children from Charlotte Sharman is an unplanned bonus. Perhaps this could be addressed along with re-installation of the railings near all school crossings?
Wednesday 10 October 2012 8.51pm
Quote:
Perhaps this could be addressed along with re-installation of the railings near all school crossings?

Why is the caging of pedestrians and the disfigurement of public space the solution to people driving dangerous objects too fast to stop when the entirely possible happens (if you're going too fast to stop when a child steps out onto the road near a school, you are going too fast)?

The fair solution, surely, is to narrow lanes, give up space to less polluting modes of travel and enforce lower speed limits.
Wednesday 10 October 2012 9.17pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
The fair solution, surely, is to narrow lanes, give up space to less polluting modes of travel and enforce lower speed limits.
Fair on whom?
Wednesday 10 October 2012 10.44pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps this could be addressed along with re-installation of the railings near all school crossings?

Why is the caging of pedestrians and the disfigurement of public space the solution to people driving dangerous objects too fast to stop when the entirely possible happens (if you're going too fast to stop when a child steps out onto the road near a school, you are going too fast)?

“disfigurement of public space “ Exactly who’s public space are the rails disfiguring and what do you mean by this? The rails may be unattractive, but I'd far prefer a "disfigurement of public space" if it meant better safety for the more vulnerable amongst us. It's about children and those less mobile pedestrians who need to stop and perhaps hold onto a rail to get their breath back before encountering the crossing, which is usually a feat in itself to get to the other side of the road before the green man disappears!

I suggested the inoffensive rails not "cages" should be re-installed. Can't remember anyone objecting to them when they were in place, that is, in my living memory.

The fair solution, surely, is to place a pedestrian crossing exactly opposite the St George’s Road entrance to Bedlam Park. This would slow down all traffic and offer a safe passage to those wishing to cross one of Inner London’s fastest 4 lane roads at a point where it is useful to pedestrians, not road-users.
Friday 12 October 2012 6.15am
actually the rails have gone...and if any remain they will be gone soon. this isn't an issue. the street environment has been enhanced with their removal as they were an ugly blot on the landscape. pedestrian rod safety would best be improved by enforcing laws on jay walking. the number of pedestrians (including children)who dive out in front of cars to cross the road as few as 10 metres from a ped. crossing or who cross without looking both ways with headphones on is frightening.
Friday 12 October 2012 1.06pm
boroughpaul wrote:
actually the rails have gone...and if any remain they will be gone soon. this isn't an issue. the street environment has been enhanced with their removal as they were an ugly blot on the landscape. pedestrian rod safety would best be improved by enforcing laws on jay walking. the number of pedestrians (including children)who dive out in front of cars to cross the road as few as 10 metres from a ped. crossing or who cross without looking both ways with headphones on is frightening.

Are there any rules on jay walking? I thought pedestrians have right of way regardless ie you can cross a road (not motorways) wherever you fell like.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 4 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions