London SE1 community website

Pedestrian road safety in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Friday 12 October 2012 1.56pm
i would hope not as it is crazily dangerous. a pedestrian diving out in front of uncoming traffic is as irresponsible as a driver going through a red light, especially in poor light
Friday 12 October 2012 2.08pm
Correct, jaywalking is not a legal term and there are no laws in the UK which require pedestrians to "yield" to cars except on motorways. In my opinion the term jaywalking is generally is used by car drivers to describe behaviour which results from road design where pedestrians' needs are thought of as secondary to the needs of people in cars.

That doesn't of course mean that wandering into the road with headphones on and not looking isn't stupid and dangerous.

But crossing a road at a place where somebody it judged unnecessary to provide a facility for pedestrians - because nobody asked them, or because TfL does not value pedestrians' travel time as being equal to that of those in cars (or perhaps because you have some half-baked political theory about "smoothing" traffic, Boris) should not be categorised in the same way.

There are, for example, four pedestrian red lights with about 20secs max each on green and an indirect route to obstruct the surface walk from the E&C Shopping Centre to the tube at London Road (a distance of less than 150m), but just two, and one of those new, for those driving a car between Walworth Rd and St Georges Road, and with about 45-60 secs on green at each for cars.
Friday 12 October 2012 2.47pm
If pedestrians want to be able to cross roads, they should stop being so tight and pay road tax!
Friday 12 October 2012 3.39pm
boroughpaul wrote:
actually the rails have gone...and if any remain they will be gone soon. this isn't an issue. the street environment has been enhanced with their removal as they were an ugly blot on the landscape. pedestrian rod safety would best be improved by enforcing laws on jay walking. the number of pedestrians (including children)who dive out in front of cars to cross the road as few as 10 metres from a ped. crossing or who cross without looking both ways with headphones on is frightening.
Jaywalking could be tackled by the same police / CSO's that enforce the law on drivers and cyclists. Driving through London today, I once more realised that a 20 mph speed limit simply is counter-productive. As far as the rails are concerned: if done in an attractive design (futuristic would be my preference, but I am not fussy) they could actually enhance the street environment. They don't have to be ugly.
Friday 12 October 2012 4.36pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jaywalking could be tackled by the same police / CSO's that enforce the law on drivers and cyclists.

Only if it were the law. But it isn't. The highway code says

A. First find a safe place to cross and where there is space to reach the pavement on the other side. Where there is a crossing nearby, use it. It is safer to cross using a subway, a footbridge, an island, a zebra, pelican, toucan or puffin crossing, or where there is a crossing point controlled by a police officer, a school crossing patrol or a traffic warden. Otherwise choose a place where you can see clearly in all directions. Try to avoid crossing between parked cars (see Rule 14), on a blind bend, or close to the brow of a hill. Move to a space where drivers and riders can see you clearly. Do not cross the road diagonally.
Friday 12 October 2012 9.10pm
Luke wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jaywalking could be tackled by the same police / CSO's that enforce the law on drivers and cyclists.

Only if it were the law. But it isn't. The highway code says

A. First find a safe place to cross and where there is space to reach the pavement on the other side. Where there is a crossing nearby, use it. It is safer to cross using a subway, a footbridge, an island, a zebra, pelican, toucan or puffin crossing, or where there is a crossing point controlled by a police officer, a school crossing patrol or a traffic warden. Otherwise choose a place where you can see clearly in all directions. Try to avoid crossing between parked cars (see Rule 14), on a blind bend, or close to the brow of a hill. Move to a space where drivers and riders can see you clearly. Do not cross the road diagonally.

Well, maybe there should be one. The highway code needs an overhaul anyway. For one I would ban non-commercial motorcyles from filtering through traffic. Exceptions could be made for couriers.
Sunday 14 October 2012 10.32am
Why ban filtering?

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 14 October 2012 11.53am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Why ban filtering?
I learned to drive a motorbike before I learned to drive a car. I used to filter all the time. It's (or was) illegal in Switzerland and I once got a huge fine for it. It wasn't until I started driving a car that I realised how much it can inconvenience cars, and I once more experienced it last week, where basically I needed 2 extra pairs of eyes, what with all the bicycles and motorbikes overtaking me right and left or closing me in at red lights.
Zoe
Sunday 14 October 2012 12.07pm
But filtering per se isn't dangerous, only dangerous filtering. I see lots of filtering that is perfectly safe, when the cars are not moving and the light has just changed, so the rider can make it to the front in plenty of time. I really don't think filtering causes lots of accidents (IMHO).
Sunday 14 October 2012 2.30pm
Zoe wrote:
But filtering per se isn't dangerous, only dangerous filtering. I see lots of filtering that is perfectly safe, when the cars are not moving and the light has just changed, so the rider can make it to the front in plenty of time. I really don't think filtering causes lots of accidents (IMHO).
Fair enough. I just think some of it puts a lot of pressure on drivers who have to watch jay walkers, red light jumping cyclists and filtering bikes.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions