London SE1 community website

Pedestrian road safety in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8
Thursday 18 October 2012 6.33pm
Good grief. Wonder what we are calling the dinner ladies now?
Thursday 18 October 2012 7.40pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Katia wrote:
There will be a lollipop lady now!
Lollipop lady for St Georges Road
Great news!

Second that, excellent news and well done to the locals for putting the pressure on.
Thursday 18 October 2012 9.50pm
John C wrote:
Actually, if you look at the announcement, it's a 'school crossing patrol attendant'.
To be honest, I don't really care what they call them, I just think it's great they're there.
Thursday 18 October 2012 11.43pm
The Southwark News calls the post a lollipop patrol
http://audioboo.fm/boos/1013964-lollypop-patrol-funds-where-hichame-died
Monday 29 October 2012 2.45pm
Lollipop ladies/men are a great idea,there would never be enough police to cover schools and surrounding areas,most people totally ignore C.P.O's,big majority of people ignore speed limits and only slow down for speed cameras then put there foot down again...So how about a video be made by DVLA or someone similar about what can,may and does happen when you drive like a idiot and also introduce it into the theory test somehow asking questions on the watched video...Also schools need to play their part and show road safety videos etc,Role play by getting little traffic cones,traffic lights,pedal cars etc and act out accidents how easy they can happen and how they can be avoided,do this in reception and infant years I personally think and hope it could make a difference...As a parent I have in quite gruesome detail told my kids what and does happen in road accidents and am very proud the my kids of 20,19 and 10 are quite clued up on road crossing still using crossing and waiting for the safe time to cross....Anyway these are my thoughts and ideas...Heartfelt feelings out to the 5 year olds family...x
Tuesday 30 October 2012 1.34am
Zoe wrote:
Ivanhoe's earlier comment is right, my partner is American and can't understand why we think undertaking on the motorway is dangerous. We all seem to think our own country's rules are the height of safety but everyone else's are terrible.

Very true IMO Zoe, I've been to 22 of the lower 48 and just drive over there in the same manner as they do.
If I'm doing 65 mph on a 70 mph limit freeway and someone is driving in the centre lane at 55-60 why should I cross all the way over in order to overtake that vehicle?
I do the same here too, if you get annoyed at being "undertaken", the remedy is simple, drive in the left lane, or the right lane in the US.
And when you overtake someone going slower than you, return to the left/right lane as soon as it is safe to do so.
Tuesday 30 October 2012 11.36am
Real-Crimes wrote:
Also schools need to play their part and show road safety videos etc,Role play by getting little traffic cones,traffic lights,pedal cars etc and act out accidents how easy they can happen and how they can be avoided,do this in reception and infant years I personally think and hope it could make a difference...As a parent I have in quite gruesome detail told my kids what and does happen in road accidents and am very proud the my kids of 20,19 and 10 are quite clued up on road crossing still using crossing and waiting for the safe time to cross....Anyway these are my thoughts and ideas...Heartfelt feelings out to the 5 year olds family...x
I think parents should make their children's schools aware of this, as suggested by Katia.
Tuesday 30 October 2012 2.37pm
Totally agree Edward as parents we complain but rarely follow the complaint up until its to late..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions