London SE1 community website

Councillor calls for crack down on pubs on wheels

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 8 October 2012 12.38pm
I have got used to the really annoying music played loudly as they travel slowly along Lafone Street several times on a Saturday.

At the end of Lafone Street the pedibus always turns right onto Tooley Street, ignoring the one way signs pointing left before crossing 2 lanes of traffic to reach the bus lane on the opposite side. It's only a matter of time before a drunken punter falls off and is squashed.

I love the last lines at the end of this pedibus web page...

"The openness of the Pedibus delivers lively sound and keeps the on-lookers passing by in complete awe as the Pedibus cruises on by with the party in full swing. Always a warm and positive reaction from The Public."
Monday 8 October 2012 1.26pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
I love the last lines at the end of this pedibus web page...

"The openness of the Pedibus delivers lively sound and keeps the on-lookers passing by in complete awe as the Pedibus cruises on by with the party in full swing. Always a warm and positive reaction from The Public."

The pedibuses are hideous, and personally, I cannot understand the attraction of peddling along, taking no notice of your surroundings (except for those who grasp the opportunity to verbally abuse some pedestrians), while drinking (from what I have seen) cheap euro p!ss alcohol.

From the extract above, I now understand. It's about look-at-me exhibitionism and the chance to indulge in behaviour the individuals taking part would not dream of trying alone.
Tuesday 9 October 2012 12.36pm
Long-Lane, I think it is unfair of you to suggest that people lose perspective on this site. This is exactly what this site is about; issues affecting SE1 and not the world at large. I think people are generally quite tolerant on this site and expect to experience inconveniences living so centrally. However, there are some things that need not be tolerated because they are not essential, and that is the main point in this posting. Those pub-bikes are just a nuisance, they serve no real purpose and the people who use them show no consideration for the surrounding area. If it were a group of homeless people drinking, shouting and whooping out on the street I'm sure that not many would accept this noise, so why accept it from a bunch of people who have homes (or pubs) to go to?
Tuesday 9 October 2012 3.26pm
This is a simple case of residents having the right to a peaceful existence, not being unnecessarily disturbed within their homes, having a voice and some control over what happens in their neigbourhood. We should not have unreasonable behaviour forced upon us without due regard for our quality of life purely for the sake of making money. Our neighbourhoods are not theme parks to be relentlessly exploited. That's why we didn't end up with a lap dancing club on Tooley Street and in my opinion shouldn't have the London Experience and London Dungeon operations at London Bridge.

A couple of points that have not been raised are 1. the Pedibus tours have a start and end point in residential areas where the problems are particularly acute i.e. anti social behaviour over a prolonged period 2. Allowing and accepting this kind of business and behaviour attracts more of the same resulting in clusters.

My final comment is about engaging with the owners of these businesses to discuss issues and work out differences. I've done this successfully with a local bar owner. I'd rather the bar wasn't there but it is and we've worked out a way of peacefully co-existing. In contrast the owner of Pedibus appears to be utterly disingenuous and treats with contempt anyone who wants to work out a compromise.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions