London SE1 community website

The Siege of The Elephant: Convergence against gentrification of The Elephant Nov 17th 2012

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Sunday 28 October 2012 1.41pm
As a resident of empire square where a mix of full ownership ,key worker shared ownership , affordable housing shared ownership , and affordable social rented accommodation was planned and delivered there is no sense whatsoever of "social apartheid " - it is however a gre at place t o live with a great mix of people. If that is the model for the elephant It seems like a good idea and a valid proposal.
Sunday 28 October 2012 2.02pm
Boroughpaul, I am glad to hear it.

But please remember that we are not starting with a "blank sheet of paper" at the Elephant. This is not a vacant site, despite Lend Lease and the Council's best efforts.

The Heygate estate was home for more than 2,000 people, and all tenants were promised by our politicians that they had a right to return to the area. That this promise was an empty one was clear given the rush to evict and demolish before having any deliverable plans to rebuild. And now the promise is even hollower, as Lend Lease do not want to build homes that those evicted, or other council tenants, could afford.
Sunday 28 October 2012 3.46pm
Tabularasa is spot on. THose of us who have been in the middle of this story for knocking fifteen years are WELL aware, LUKE, of the whole history, and dont need you to start pontificating and telling us the history of the HEYGATE ESTATE. We know what was promised. We know what's gone on. We know that there are all sorts of people around to blame. wE were here, and we were involved as we are now. But it wont get us anywhere to start harping on about what's, alas, done, or trying to give us a morals lecture. We've been around this block. You arent discovering the wheel. It's a sorry tale. OK. Now what?
Thursday 15 November 2012 12.48am
Just a final reminder. The Siege event is this Saturday!

The Siege of The Elephant:
A One-day Convergence

Saturday 17th November 11am – 5pm

Pembroke House
80 Tatum Street
London SE17 1QR

The aim of the day is to share evidence and discuss alternatives in relation to the gentrification of North Southwark and Elephant and Castle. The day will be divided in two parts and each will consist of three parallel workshops followed by plenary discussions. We ask invited contributors like you to introduce themselves and make a 5 minute
presentation on relevant evidence, work and/or experiences, which can then be opened up for response to those at the table.

LIKELY TIMETABLE:
• PART I (Morning) SESSIONS
How does gentrification work and what are its causes and effects in Elephant and Castle?

The focus in these sessions will be on sharing evidence of:
1 – DISPLACEMENT: the displacement of existing communities (residential and commercial) and loss of public resources and amenities
2 – THE ROLE OF CONSULTATION: flaws with regeneration plans and the consultation processes (broken promises of re-housing, problems with top-down planning)
3 – THE SPIN OF REGENERATION: the role of PR and mass media narratives that support the Council’s and the developers own narratives around regeneration.

• PART II (Afternoon) SESSIONS
How can we resist or alter dynamics of gentrification?
Discussing and exploring knowledge and practical ways and means that propose alternatives to regeneration as gentrification and the accompanying Local Authorities / developers’ consultations:

1 – COUNTERING DISPLACEMENT: countering the displacement of existing communities and the loss of public resources (the discontents of ‘affordable’ housing)
2 – POLITICISING CONSULTATION: resistance to empty consultation and enacting forms of local decision-making
3 – PROPOSING ALTERNATIVES: countering existing narratives of ‘failure and progress’ and promoting
alternative visions

Lunch and tea will be provided, and there may well also be time for walking around the Heygate Estate and the Better Elephant permanent exhibition.
Thursday 15 November 2012 9.37am
I'd be interested in going to this event as an interested party, but is it only open to those speaking?
Thursday 15 November 2012 10.02am
Tolstoy and others who may want to come.

The event is open to those who are interested in the topic and themes. There are some short prepared presentations in the six sessions but mainly this is to open up the sessions to discussion from any of those who are attending. It would be great if people came to add in their own ideas, experiences etc.

The organisers were asking that people email with there desire to attend just so that numbers could be ascertained and a Balance maintained between local folks, traders, campaigners, writers etc and other less local but nonetheless engaged researchers and interested parties.

Email address is:
[email protected]

So, Tolstoy, if you can email, you can be added to the list.
Monday 28 September 2015 1.40pm
I doubt whether hassling a small business in Brick Lane constitutes the gentrification battle "hotting up".
Monday 28 September 2015 2.01pm
Eiger wrote:
I doubt whether hassling a small business in Brick Lane constitutes the gentrification battle "hotting up".

On the contrary. Places like The Cereal Killer are symbiotic of gentrification. Attracting punters to pay £2.50 for a small bowl of cereal in an area notorious for its poverty is exactly what rightly irked the demonstrators.
Monday 28 September 2015 2.17pm
If it's possible, I actually agree with the above two posts. I think Eiger has a point, when you consider the numerous chains, including Foxtons (I think is in the area), choosing a breakfast bar to attack seems a bit dopey. These things usually are spur of the moment though, one acts and people follow.
Ed's right too, I feel, that kind of decadence in an area of poverty is likely to get a Frostie reception (how could I resist?).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions