London SE1 community website

The Siege of The Elephant: Convergence against gentrification of The Elephant Nov 17th 2012

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9
Monday 28 September 2015 3.15pm
boroughonian wrote:
These things usually are spur of the moment though, one acts and people follow.

This protest was planned and organised. This particular cafè has been like a red rag to the area ever since it opened, one of the moral questions raised being whether locals could afford £3 for a bowl of cereal.
Monday 28 September 2015 3.29pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

This protest was planned and organised. This particular cafè has been like a red rag to the area ever since it opened, one of the moral questions raised being whether locals could afford £3 for a bowl of cereal.

I meant the "attack" on the cereal bar.
So that bar has been a red rag and Foxtons hasn't? They'll be plenty of locals that can't afford the price Pret charge for a coffee.
Don't get it, if there are people that want to pay silly money for a bowl of cereal, let them.
I do have a problem with locals being left with few shops in their range, but that's another story.
I am all for a coexistence, it can be done.
Monday 28 September 2015 3.41pm
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

So that bar has been a red rag and Foxtons hasn't? They'll be plenty of locals that can't afford the price Pret charge for a coffee.
Don't get it, if there are people that want to pay silly money for a bowl of cereal, let them.
I do have a problem with locals being left with few shops in their range, but that's another story.

Yes, it does indeed seem that you don't get it. I suggest you read up on the history of The Cereal Killer Bar, how it's perceived in the area and how "coexistence" can be interpreted differently if you really are interested.
Monday 28 September 2015 4.00pm
The Cereal Bar replaced an old video shop - which presumably went bust because all the locals have Sky etc...

What would you have had it replaced with - or would you rather it stayed boarded up so as not to offend anyone?
Monday 28 September 2015 4.05pm
Speaking of unrepentant decadence, did you know that many pubs charge over £4 for a pint, while you can buy beer in the supermarket for 50p? And a side of toast at a greasy spoon can cost £1, but the cost of a couple of slices of bread is only about 5p - that's a markup of 2000%!! Quick, grab the paint, pig masks, and stones - we need to protest EVERYTHING!
Monday 28 September 2015 4.22pm
shaggy wrote:
The Cereal Bar replaced an old video shop - which presumably went bust because all the locals have Sky etc...
What would you have had it replaced with - or would you rather it stayed boarded up so as not to offend anyone?

Don't be disingenuous - there are plenty of examples of small businesses being forced out because of extortionate rent and subsequently "little people" not being able to start a local business for the same reason.
Monday 28 September 2015 4.30pm
sjac wrote:
Speaking of unrepentant decadence, did you know that many pubs charge over £4 for a pint, while you can buy beer in the supermarket for 50p? And a side of toast at a greasy spoon can cost £1, but the cost of a couple of slices of bread is only about 5p - that's a markup of 2000%!! Quick, grab the paint, pig masks, and stones - we need to protest EVERYTHING!

I don't think people who are concerned about feeding their children are concerned about being able to afford going to the pub. Everyone knows there is poverty in Britain, making facetious comparisons to pubs is not going to change that. At least this protest brought poverty and gentrification to people's attention again. As the history of the Wheatsheaf and potential fate of the Gladstone show, pubs are affected by gentrification as well btw.
Monday 28 September 2015 4.57pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I don't think people who are concerned about feeding their children are concerned about being able to afford going to the pub. Everyone knows there is poverty in Britain, making facetious comparisons to pubs is not going to change that. At least this protest brought poverty and gentrification to people's attention again. As the history of the Wheatsheaf and potential fate of the Gladstone show, pubs are affected by gentrification as well btw.

Facetious but apt. Every service provider has a mark-up, and the cereal café won't even be at the top of the scale. To single out this type of business just reveals that the protest is less about poverty and more about a tribalistic "we don't like these kinds of people because they're not like us" protest. I wouldn't think that this is the kind of attention the anti-poverty campaign would want to associate with - to me it cheapens the cause.
Monday 28 September 2015 5.51pm
As far as I am aware, there aren't any other eateries in the country devoted to selling only breakfast cereals, and Cereal Killer sources products that aren't readily available in this country: anyone going in there to eat a bowl of Kellogg's Corn Flakes is a fool: he can get those in any café and at a fraction of the price.

I see it as a kind of Pop Art tribute to the wonderful packing these cereals come in.

More than gentrification, it is a case of 'hipsterisation', but hasn't Shoreditch long established itself as Hipster Central...?

I think it was a mistake to target that establishment: best stick to attacking estate agents and the like...
Monday 28 September 2015 6.39pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Yes, it does indeed seem that you don't get it. I suggest you read up on the history of The Cereal Killer Bar, how it's perceived in the area and how "coexistence" can be interpreted differently if you really are interested.

Oh don't be silly, interested? I live it, unlike you.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions