London SE1 community website

The Siege of The Elephant: Convergence against gentrification of The Elephant Nov 17th 2012

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9
Monday 28 September 2015 6.43pm
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
These things usually are spur of the moment though, one acts and people follow.

This protest was planned and organised. This particular cafè has been like a red rag to the area ever since it opened, one of the moral questions raised being whether locals could afford £3 for a bowl of cereal.

I meant the "attack" on the cereal bar.
So that bar has been a red rag and Foxtons hasn't? They'll be plenty of locals that can't afford the price Pret charge for a coffee.
Don't get it, if there are people that want to pay silly money for a bowl of cereal, let them.
I do have a problem with locals being left with few shops in their range, but that's another story.

I am all for a coexistence, it can be done.

Yes, it does indeed seem that you don't get it. I suggest you read up on the history of The Cereal Killer Bar, how it's perceived in the area and how "coexistence" can be interpreted differently if you really are interested.

Oh don't be silly, interested? I live it, unlike you.

Ooh presumptuous.
Monday 28 September 2015 6.44pm
Jules62 wrote:
I think it was a mistake to target that establishment: best stick to attacking estate agents and the like...

Well, I am sure that's on their bucket list as well.
Monday 28 September 2015 7.20pm
"Ooh presumptuous."

Memory.
Monday 28 September 2015 10.19pm
The Cafè was in the news when it opened - the question with regards to the poverty in the area was raised almost immediately. There is a reason they were targeted and personally I can understand why to people it's an affront the same way estate agents are.
Tuesday 29 September 2015 9.04am
Placing a shop like this in Tower Hamlets of all areas was not the greatest idea but neither is vandalising and terrifying young children to get your point across.
Tuesday 29 September 2015 9.59am
jinkazama wrote:
Placing a shop like this in Tower Hamlets of all areas was not the greatest idea but neither is vandalising and terrifying young children to get your point across.

Claiming children are involved or the extent the children were terrified has become a bit of a trend. I haven't seen any reports of windows of the cafè being smashed (they painted the word "scum" on the shop window after all) nor have I seen any interviews with any children "terrified for their lives" or their parents.

Anyway, Time Out take a view similar to those who think the "attack" was misdirected. Then again, they would, as places to go are their livelihood. They don't want to publish reviews of places they recommend with the caveat that plebs may not agree with your eatery of choice.
Monday 5 October 2015 12.16am
Food for thought for anyone pro Class War . I couldn't have said it better myself.
Monday 5 October 2015 6.59am
electro.gal wrote:
Food for thought for anyone pro Class War . I couldn't have said it better myself.

Oh dear, what a sad paradigm of subjective amateur journalism. Reads like an typically ill-informed, obnoxious rant on a social forum.
Monday 5 October 2015 8.16am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
electro.gal wrote:

Oh dear, what a sad paradigm of subjective amateur journalism. Reads like an typically ill-informed, obnoxious rant on a social forum.
Interested to know exactly what part(s) you irks you so. Personally I think it's obnoxious to assume that imported cereals are not wanted/needed by the working class but what do I know...being a working class Londoner.
Monday 5 October 2015 10.19am
electro.gal wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
electro.gal wrote:

Interested to know exactly what part(s) you irks you so. Personally I think it's obnoxious to assume that imported cereals are not wanted/needed by the working class but what do I know...being a working class Londoner.

Where to start? Probably the part where the writer suggests that "There is a nostalgia for the old poor communities in the area...That this sense of community is being lost." It trivialises poverty. Child poverty in the area rose from 42% - to 49% (December 2014). Suggesting that "among the biggest beneficiaries of this regenerative process" (i.e., according to the author: investment, redevelopment, jobs) are "the people who live locally to it" is like saying that colonialism was good for India, Africa etc. It was only good for the colonialists, whether they were Britain France, Spain etc. The more I re-read the piece, the more the sheer presumptuousness and arrogance of the author infuriates me. It's a subjective rant against Class War, whose methods I don't necessarily agree with, but whose sentiment I appreciate. The author concludes the article by wrapping himself up in a cosy self-complacent reference to his great-great-grandparents and an equally cosy, smug final swipe at Class War. The author doesn't give a sh*t about the local people, that's what irks me. I recently read jack London's "People of the Abyss", not a cosy children's book, but a harsh, depressing account of life in East London in the early 1900's. To realise that little has changed since then, that people care even less about poverty since then, especially as long as they can tuck in to their £3 bowel of cereal, angers me.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions